Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Anniversary (14393)
       30 Oct 2016 #1

    How do I enable "Mobile Hotspot" without internet connection?


    I am attempting to start the "Mobile Hotspot" that is inside the settings menu, without an active internet connection. Is there any way I can do this, or is there an alternative?


    What I have tested before is using the netsh command to set and start the "Hosted Network". I can set the settings fine, but starting the hosted network yields "The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.". I have already tried the fix where you enable the "Virtual Adapter" device in device manager, but it did not change anything.


    To clarify, even though the netsh method fails, using Mobile Hotspot with an active internet connection works fine.


    I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 Anniversary Edition (build 14393) on a Dell Inspiron 7558. The wireless networking card is dual-band 802.11ac.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,948
    EL Capitan
       31 Oct 2016 #2

    You cannot unless you have a active Internet Connection. It is a Bridged connection if you have Internet connected to the computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 523
    Windows 10
       31 Oct 2016 #3

    You can set up as "Ad-Hoc", it will allow 2 PCs to communicate with each other without a router..
    You have to use the Command Line and use the: netsh wlan show/set/start/stop hostednetwork mode=allow.
    This is working for me when the Hostednetwork is started in a W10-64bit . Starting Hostednetwork in a W10-32bit there is a error that it could not be started due a incorrect state.
    Any way the HostedNetWork has very poor throughput, like 3MB/s and it is connecting only at 72Mbps, even if PCs hardware are 802.11 AC-867 Mbps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 523
    Windows 10
       4 Weeks Ago #4

    some adapters/Drivers do NOT support HostedNetWork


    check in a elevated command prompt if Adapter/Driver support HostedNetWork

    netsh wlan show driver

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hostednetworksupport.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	108558
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Anniversary (14393)
       4 Weeks Ago #5

    Adalwar said: View Post
    check in a elevated command prompt if Adapter/Driver support HostedNetWork

    netsh wlan show driver

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hostednetworksupport.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	108558
    That was partially my bad. I forgot to mention that it did report no for that field. However, why would I still be able to host a "Mobile Hotspot" if my network card doesn't support it? That makes no sense.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 523
    Windows 10
       4 Weeks Ago #6

    UserNumber00001 said: View Post
    That was partially my bad. I forgot to mention that it did report no for that field. However, why would I still be able to host a "Mobile Hotspot" if my network card doesn't support it? That makes no sense.
    I think "Mobile Hotspot" and the "HostedNetWork" are different things.
    Mobile Hotspot is for to Share Internet Connection and will not work without an active Internet connection. And for this it is not necessary the support of Driver / Card for HostedNetWork.
    HotedNetWork, is and Ad-Hoc connection, it means you are creating an Home WLAN infrastructure without a Router, so at the end the HostedNetwork is a substitute for a Router. I did not try it, but probably you also could share the Internet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Anniversary (14393)
       4 Weeks Ago #7

    Adalwar said: View Post
    I think "Mobile Hotspot" and the "HostedNetWork" are different things.
    Mobile Hotspot is for to Share Internet Connection and will not work without an active Internet connection. And for this it is not necessary the support of Driver / Card for HostedNetWork.
    HotedNetWork, is and Ad-Hoc connection, it means you are creating an Home WLAN infrastructure without a Router, so at the end the HostedNetwork is a substitute for a Router. I did not try it, but probably you also could share the Internet.
    If that's the case, then couldn't a network infrastructure be spoofed inside of Windows, and then be sent to the networking card, as if it was a pre-existing network?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,948
    EL Capitan
       4 Weeks Ago #8

    UserNumber00001 said: View Post
    If that's the case, then couldn't a network infrastructure be spoofed inside of Windows, and then be sent to the networking card, as if it was a pre-existing network?
    Spoofed as in what? You can create any Ad-Hoc you want on any OS. It is not just a Windows only.

    The whole purpose of using say a laptop as a Hotspot, is if you are connecting to a Captive Portal with a pay wall and you have say a streaming device or game system that cannot connect and then let you through the Captive Portal or pay wall, you would set up a Bridge with say two Wifi adapters, or Ethernet with Wifi Bridged.

    The bad side would be if someone sets up to capture and sniff packets and use the laptop to deceive people into thinking that it is the actual hotspot, then there are problems. Honey Pots are another way to use the Laptop to try and steer someone who is attempting to find a way into a Wifi network, so you can then take that person's connection and record any attempts, but they are not going to get anywhere while in the Honey Pot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Anniversary (14393)
       4 Weeks Ago #9

    bro67 said: View Post
    Spoofed as in what? You can create any Ad-Hoc you want on any OS. It is not just a Windows only.

    The whole purpose of using say a laptop as a Hotspot, is if you are connecting to a Captive Portal with a pay wall and you have say a streaming device or game system that cannot connect and then let you through the Captive Portal or pay wall, you would set up a Bridge with say two Wifi adapters, or Ethernet with Wifi Bridged.

    The bad side would be if someone sets up to capture and sniff packets and use the laptop to deceive people into thinking that it is the actual hotspot, then there are problems. Honey Pots are another way to use the Laptop to try and steer someone who is attempting to find a way into a Wifi network, so you can then take that person's connection and record any attempts, but they are not going to get anywhere while in the Honey Pot.
    My goal is to be able to host a temporary, but reliable wireless network for other devices to connect to. My main uses would be allowing my phone and laptop to communicate wirelessly when outside of WiFi coverage, and to act as a network for games and file transfer to communicate through. If I use my phone, I risk using my data, the hotspot shutting down when I get outside of coverage (and not being able to turn it back on), lowered speed and stability by using it as a middle man, and wasting battery on something that the laptop could handle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Anniversary (14393)
       4 Weeks Ago #10

    I don't recall performance that poor. When I've done it previously, it tended to be extremely stable (great for multiplayer LAN gaming), and have reasonable throughput (for file transfer). Both of those are generally lost when I use a phone as a middle man, among other downsides.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Internet connection from WiFi Hotspot
I have setup a WiFi Hotspot with MyPublicWiFi. Allowed Sharing in Local Area Connection *2. Everything seems to be in order as the Screenshot shows. But when I try to connect a mobile it gets connected to "MyPublicWiFi", no internet sharing from...
Network and Sharing
Cortana cannot even "Search My Stuff" with no internet connection!
Hi, I've noticed, if there is no internet connection on account login, Cortana cannot search for files and apps in my PC! When it's connected to internet (even for a few seconds), Cortana's (local) search works fine. Is it only for me???:huh:...
Software and Apps
Speedup the Internet bandwidth consuption of "WinStore.Mobile.exe"
How to make the download speed of the Windows Store faster. My current network speed is 30 MB/s but it's using only about 12KB/s, what should I do?
Network and Sharing
Solved Cannot open "Network & Internet" from Windows 10 "Settings"
I do have my WiFi internet working, I can access internet all right. But if I go to Windows 10 Settings and then try to open "Network & Internet", it takes forever and it does not load. While that happens, performance temporarily decreases, even...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:38.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums