1. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       10 Oct 2016 #1

    Windows 10 Store slowing down the internet of the whole HOUSE!


    As soon as I start downloading anything from the windows store,in this case its Forza Horizon 3 and GeOW4 Preload,The whole house's internet speed stoops to 400kbs from 54mbps?
    Im using a PC here.

    anything I can do to solve this?
    OS:Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 319
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32-bit 10586
       10 Oct 2016 #2

    What you are looking for is called QOS ( Quality of Service ) and as far as I know the only QOS setting in Windows 10 only applies to OneDrive.

    Your Router may or may not be able to set the QOS for the Windows Store IP's, You would have to go to your Router manufactures web page to find out.

    If you are running DDWRT you may find this helpful
    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.ph...ity_of_Service

    http://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-b...n-your-router/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       10 Oct 2016 #3

    That is a pretty old Router if only doing 54mbps (Wifi?) , perhaps it is just overheating trying to pull down large games ?

    Try using a ethernet cable for large downloads instead perhaps....


    KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       10 Oct 2016 #4

    54mbps download speed here,Router is a brand new Netgear nighthawk and it's connected through Ethernet.

    had a read through regarding the QoS but I'm not even sure what's the Ip of Windows store itself?

    am I the only one who has this problem?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       10 Oct 2016 #5

    shindude said: View Post
    54mbps download speed here,Router is a brand new Netgear nighthawk and it's connected through Ethernet.

    had a read through regarding the QoS but I'm not even sure what's the Ip of Windows store itself?

    am I the only one who has this problem?

    The Nighthawk is a nice Router I have Read........

    QOS works for the computers on your Lan not for websites on the Internet , ie you can limit one so it doesn't swamp the network for other when downloading.....M$ Servers will let you take data as fast as you (the router) can handle but it can be detrimental to others connected on the same Router , your computer should not lose any speed though.

    Is you ISP service 54mbs down or do you mean you are connected to the Router at 54mbps? when you check your Connection Details in Networking and Sharing Center? 54mbps second is the speed for a rather old Wifi card if so, on only 801b I think , certainly not what the Nighthawk is capable of.....


    KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 319
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32-bit 10586
       10 Oct 2016 #6

    After I posted my response to your question I said that "and as far as I know the only QOS setting in Windows 10 only applies to OneDrive"

    Seems like I was wrong

    I did a bit of Google searching to find out if there was a command to do it in PowerShell and I found it
    Code:
    New-NetQosPolicy -Name OneDriveLimits -AppPathNameMatchCondition OneDrive.exe -IPProtocolMatchCondition Both -NetworkProfile All -ThrottleRateActionBitsPerSecond 1000000.
    A little bit of Google Foo (New-NetQosPolicy) led me to the fact that this was possible even in the good old day's of Windows's Vista.

    It seems that if you know the program name and it is QOS aware you can throttle it, In the above example it throttled OneDrive and below Cortana to 1 MB's.
    Code:
    New-NetQosPolicy -Name CortanaBandwidth -AppPathNameMatchCondition SearchUI.exe -IPProtocolMatchCondition Both -NetworkProfile All -ThrottleRateActionBitsPerSecond 1000000.

    I found several example's but I could not find the executable or path for Windows Store desktop version.

    I tried it with uTorrent and it slowed it down for a minute and went back the same speed as it was before, so I guess that uTorrent is not QOS aware.
    Last edited by sml156; 10 Oct 2016 at 21:40. Reason: Beacuse I can
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 319
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32-bit 10586
       10 Oct 2016 #7

    Kbird said: View Post
    The Nighthawk is a nice Router I have Read........

    QOS works for the computers on your Lan not for websites on the Internet , ie you can limit one so it doesn't swamp the network for other when downloading.....M$ Servers will let you take data as fast as you (the router) can handle but it can be detrimental to others connected on the same Router , your computer should not lose any speed though.

    Is you ISP service 54mbs down or do you mean you are connected to the Router at 54mbps? when you check your Connection Details in Networking and Sharing Center? 54mbps second is the speed for a rather old Wifi card if so, on only 801b I think , certainly not what the Nighthawk is capable of.....


    KB
    Many SOHO routers probably do not have the option to control the Wan but as far as I can tell DDWRT can (Highlight red)
    Source:
    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.ph...ity_of_Service
    Initial Setup


    • Select the NAT/QoS tab and then the QoS sub-tab.


    • Click "Enable"


    • Set Port to "WAN". This works for all QoS setups EXCEPT, when using QoS by interface on a BRIDGED interface under "interface priority", UNBRIDGED interfaces work fine with WAN port setting. If you want to use QoS on a BRIDGED interface you must select port as "LAN & WLAN", which also works for all other QoS setups, but with slightly more CPU usage.


    • Select HTB as your packet scheduler if you have "queuing discipline" listed below it, if not then use HFSC.


    • Select FQ_CODEL as your queuing discipline.


    • Set your download and upload speeds. You can use a speed test like Speedtest.net to check your actual connection speed. Some ISPs also provide their own bandwidth testing service, which may be more reliable than the links provided. Enter no higher than 95% of the values you measured into the proper fields. After you have everything set run the speed test again. If you get near 90% of your previous measurement in each direction then things are cool. If you get results which are way off then chances are that you have reversed these values. You must enter a value for the uplink field but if you want you can enter 0 for the downlink field in which case no QoS will occur in that direction, setting your downlink field to 0 isn't recommended.


    It probably bugs you to set less than 100% of your available bandwidth in these fields but this is required. There will be a bottleneck somewhere in the system and QoS can only work if the bottleneck is in your router where it has control. The goal is to force the bottleneck to be in your router as opposed to some random location out on the wire over which you have no control. Some ISP's even have bursting ("powerboost") which will temporarily give you extra bandwidth when you first start using your connection but will later throttle down to a sustained rate. Fortunately there is usually a minimum level that you receive on a consistent basis and you must set your QoS limits below this minimum. The problem is finding this minimum and you may have to repeat speed tests many times before determining it. For this reason start with 80% of your measured speed and try things for a couple of days. If the performance is acceptable you can start to inch your levels up. If you go even 2% higher than you should be, your QoS will totally stop working (just too high) or randomly stop working (when your ISP node/DSLAM is slow aka saturated). This can lead to a lot of confusion on your part so get it working first by conservatively setting these speeds and then optimize later.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       10 Oct 2016 #8

    sml156 said: View Post
    After I posted my response to your question I said that "and as far as I know the only QOS setting in Windows 10 only applies to OneDrive"

    Seems like I was wrong

    I did a bit of Google searching to find out if there was a command to do it in PowerShell and I found it
    Code:
    New-NetQosPolicy -Name OneDriveLimits -AppPathNameMatchCondition OneDrive.exe -IPProtocolMatchCondition Both -NetworkProfile All -ThrottleRateActionBitsPerSecond 1000000.
    A little bit of Google Foo (New-NetQosPolicy) led me to the fact that this was possible even in the good old day's of Windows's Vista.

    It seems that if you know the program name and it is QOS aware you can throttle it, In the above example it throttled OneDrive and below Cortana to 1 MB's.
    Code:
    New-NetQosPolicy -Name CortanaBandwidth -AppPathNameMatchCondition SearchUI.exe -IPProtocolMatchCondition Both -NetworkProfile All -ThrottleRateActionBitsPerSecond 1000000.
    I found several example's but I could not find the executable or path for Windows Store desktop version.

    I tried it with uTorrent and it slowed it down for a minute and went back the same speed as it was before, so I guess that uTorrent is not QOS aware.


    One Drive does allow you to set speed limits in it's Setting dialog , on the Network TAB directly if desired....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_10_11_03_48_001.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	105367

    KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
No Internet Connections for Apps from Windows Store
Hi, I am using Windows 10 for 9 Months now, and I've never had any problems. Since yesterday apps from Windows Store do not have internet access. All other "manually" installed applications work just fine. To test if it is really the Windows...
Network and Sharing
Windows 10 loses internet randomly, then entire house cannot connect
Hello, I'm new here, but not new to computers. I appreciate any help, and apologize if there have been similar posts, but I have done a lot of searching and have not been able to find my specific problem elsewhere. I have been having this...
Network and Sharing
Solved Windows 10 slowing down torrents/downloads - internet speed fine
Ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I've noticed one weird artifact - torrents are much slower and they take much longer to pick up speed. Now, why would that be? Well, the only observation I could make is that on Windows 10 it takes so much...
Network and Sharing
Windows 10 Adoption Already Slowing Down
Source
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Pro Slowing Down
Most of the time it performs well with no lag between doing something like typing & it appearing on the screen. However, every now & then after doing a number of big downloads it really slows down with seconds between typing & seeing the response...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums