Today has been rough for me since about 10am this morning. I have a PC that I built about 10 years ago that qualified for upgrade to Windows 10 about 5 months ago and until this time, I've had internet access on my PC. I've had some blue screens that occurred a few times a week due to sporadic issues with a windows driver for my NVIDIA graphics card - I found that NVIDIA has no drivers for Windows 10, so I'm stuck with that windows driver. I started my PC this morning to work on some emails at 8:00am and things worked absolutely fine. Than about 10:00am, I had a blue screen "page fault in nonpaged area" - this has happened before, but Windows always recovered without any real harm.
The PC rebooted and then I found I had no internet. I looked at the icon on the toolbar and it had the yellow triangle "!" on it with "unidentified network - no internet access" So I checked my router - a Motorola Surfboard - all the icons were lit, so I checked my laptop(I'm using a laptop now for this) and it was still online without issues. Both my PC and laptop are connected via ethernet cables. I looked on the back of my modem and the port that my PC was connected to was lit - so communication was going on there.
I tried the windows diagnostics - it found no problems. I opened the network and sharing center and it shows "unidentified network - Public network" For access type: No Access - For Connections: Ethernet
Back at about 2pm, I found the "fix network connection issues" on microsoft's site and went into command prompt as administrator - and typed: netsh wlan show wlanreport. It said it generated a report, but when I looked for it, it did not exist. I continued by resetting the IP, DNS, and renewing the IP - of course, it could not renew my IP without internet connection. I reset the DNS, WinSock, etc and rebooted - did not change anything except now I don't have a Primary DNS Suffix or Default Gateway under IP CONFIG/All
I uninstalled the driver and network card, rebooted and it did not change anything, so I shut down my PC - obviously unhappy and flustered. Fast forward to 8:30pm this evening, I tried netsh wlan show wlanreport. again and this time when I looked up where the report was supposed to be, it was there.
Oddly, the first box on the Wlan Report has "no events from the past 48 hours to display" on it - how? I had internet yesterday and this morning!
User Info showed: Username: TED - User Domain: TED-PC - User DNS Domain: unknown
I obviously have no idea how to read a Wlan Report to find problems and diagnose how to fix, but I found it weird that under "Summary" the first box had 0 successes, failures or warnings
Under Wireless Sessions, it showed several events like WLAN Autoconfig Has successfully started/Stopped, CDE reported an L2 adapter arrival/removal
Then at 20:00:30 it shows my operating system started(after the crash) followed by 20:01:11 it says CDE reported an L2 adapter arrival - followed by 20:01:12 WLAN Autoconfig service has successfully started - then at 20:05:25 it says CDE reported an L2 Adapter Removal
20:06:18 CDE reported an L2 adapter arrival
20:06:51 CDE Reported an L2 adapter removal
20:06:52 CDE reported an L2 Adapter arrival
20:07:07 CDE Reported an L2 adapter removal
20:08:14 CDE reported an L2 adapter arrival
So this is where I stand now - Ethernet status: IPv4 & IPv6 Connectivity both state: No Connectivity
I am hoping someone here can get this problem solved for me so I can get my main PC back connected to the internet!
Thank you - if you need information, tell me how to get it and I'll try to get it!