I have been dealing with the vexing issue of limited or no internet on a Windows 10 PC for months. My Windows 10 laptop does not suffer from this issue, but my custom desktop PC had the vexing condition of the internet dropping offline 5 to 30 minutes after a startup from power on or reset. I researched all of the noted issues on the forums and tried all of the “fixes”. Nothing worked. I dug a little deeper and it looks like I have fixed the issue – my internet has been up for 12 hours as a result. Not sure exactly what did it but here is the barebones of what I did:
- Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Wireless USB Adapter > Power Management Tab > uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
- Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Root Hub > Power Management Tab > uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
- Note - I had multiple USB Root Hubs (one of which my USB 3.0 Wireless USB Adapter is plugged into) so I did this for all of them.
- Ensure you have the latest Wireless Adapter driver – mine was OK
- Note – I also updated the wired adapter driver which was out of date – it did not completely resolve my problem but for some strange reason this resulted in a more stable wireless connection.
- New Note - I found an issue with my motherboard USB 3.0 controllers - both would shut down (this correctly led me away from the wireless device being an issue). Windows 10 installed a Microsoft driver for the motherboard Etron® EJ168 USB 3.0 controller and hub [Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller (2x); Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Root Hub (2x)]. Apparently the Microsoft driver is not compatible with these Etron devices. I found and installed the latest Etron driver and have had absolutely no problems for 24 hrs. *****It looks like that Microsoft driver was the problem all along*****I wonder how many others are fighting an apparent network USB device / adapter / driver problem when the real problem is the USB controller driver*****
- Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > View network status and tasks > click on the internet connection (brings up the Wi-Fi Status window) > click on the “Wireless Properties” button and enable the “Connect automatically when the network is in range”.
- Note – I also enabled the “Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID).
- Lastly - TCP Optimizer v4.0.3[from http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php] and ran the optimizer with the optimal settings enabled.
I will let you know if there are any further issues associated with the problem, but after 12 hours, I feel good about this fix….