I'm confronted with a baffling problem.
- I can logon without problems to WiFi networks where I provide a passphrase/password to the Wifi-point. This is the case at home and at friends' and family.
- I can also logon on to public WiFi networks such as on trains, hotels, restaurants and what not. Some of these are like the situation described above, some are hotspot like.
- Where I run into problems is in corporate network situations. I'll have been provided with a UID and Password (which work, I verified them on my smartphone), see the WiFi signal I am to log on to and what is supposed to happen is: after I have made the connection to the WiFi spot,
- my browser is to open automatically and bring me to a URL where I can enter the UID and Password after which I'll be connected. This does not happen. OR
- I should open my browser and attempt to access any url after which I am guided to a URL where I can enter the UID and Password
I'll see the WiFi point, make the connection, the browser does not open automatically and when I open it myself and try a URL (e.g. CNN.com), instead of requesting a UID and Password I just get the error 'server not found'
Needless to say this quite annoying and inconvenient. I sometimes desperately need my laptop in such environments and driving down the street to a McDonals where I can quickly do some stuff and coming back is just not working out.
Can anybody help me out?