1. Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
       4 Days Ago #1

    re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade


    I bought a notepad programmed with W8.1, hence it came with no Windows 8.1 CDs, and I took advantage of the free download to upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to get rid of the notepad and need to wipe it clean and re-install the OS. But I've nothing for the OS. What do I do? I intend to use a highly recommended software to totally remove any possible trace to anything I'd put on the HD. That, to me, means blanked, cleaned, nothing remaining. Help!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 287
    Win10
       4 Days Ago #2

    frustratedagain said: View Post
    I bought a notepad programmed with W8.1, hence it came with no Windows 8.1 CDs, and I took advantage of the free download to upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to get rid of the notepad and need to wipe it clean and re-install the OS. But I've nothing for the OS. What do I do? I intend to use a highly recommended software to totally remove any possible trace to anything I'd put on the HD. That, to me, means blanked, cleaned, nothing remaining. Help!
    if you obtained Win10 by upgrading and you have not done a clean install of Win 10 then you can probably use the recovery partition to restore Win 8.1 to the factory installed configuration. Look through the documentation that came with unit for instructions or go the manufactures web site for specific instructions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
       4 Days Ago #3

    thanks


    Thanks for your suggestion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,344
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Days Ago #4

    Before you do anything, I would export the third party device drivers by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and running:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

    the path in red will be to an external storage device with a folder created on it to hold the drivers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
       3 Days Ago #5

    re-install w10 originally acquired via free downloaded upgrade


    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Before you do anything, I would export the third party device drivers by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and running:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

    the path in red will be to an external storage device with a folder created on it to hold the drivers.
    I got Error 87, the .....destination option is unknown. Several suggestions to learn more about dism.exe lead nowhere.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,344
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Days Ago #6

    frustratedagain said: View Post
    I got Error 87, the .....destination option is unknown. Several suggestions to learn more about dism.exe lead nowhere.
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /export-driver /?
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    Image Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    /Export-Driver /Destination:<path_to_destination_folder>
    
      Export all third-party driver packages from a Windows image to a destination path.
    
        Examples:
          DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\destpath
    
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    And
    DISM Driver Servicing (.inf) Command-Line Options
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
       3 Days Ago #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /export-driver /?
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    Image Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    /Export-Driver /Destination:<path_to_destination_folder>
    
      Export all third-party driver packages from a Windows image to a destination path.
    
        Examples:
          DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\destpath
    
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    And
    DISM Driver Servicing (.inf) Command-Line Options

    Thanks for assuming I would understand, but I don't. Could you possibly explain how I can make this work for me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,344
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Days Ago #8

    This only works on Windows 8 or Windows 10, not Windows 7. You make a folder on an external storage device such as a USB flash drive. I recommend at least 4 GB free space on it. Lets say you call the folder Drivers. Of course there has to be a drive letter assigned for you to make the folder, lets say it gets the drive letter E:. With the USB flash drive inserted, and you can see E:\Drivers in file explorer:
    Right click on the start icon, and select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Window that opens you would run:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

    Change the E:\Drivers part to match the drive letter and folder you create to hold them. The folder can be on C: drive if you want, but you will have to move them off of C: drive before you do a reset or clean install of Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
       2 Days Ago #9

    It was the spaces that I missed. Once I entered the spaces correctly, it worked. Thanks to all here for the help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
AMD Installer- new driver downloaded ready to install. click upgrade?
AMD Installer - pop up reports "New driver downloaded and ready to install. Click Upgrade to continue." I want to know if it is safe to do so.
Drivers and Hardware
Fresh RE-install for free upgrade to windows 10?
Several months ago I got the free upgrade from Win 7 to 10. I did fresh install onto a blank HDD using a proper ISO and used the key on the bottom of my Toshiba laptop. Toshiba provided no Win 10 drivers, but I got everything working with 7 and 8...
Installation and Setup
Does free upgrade to 10 from 8.1 offer Custom: Install Windows only.
I have already once done a free upgrade to W.10 & then decided to go back to W.8.1. I know I now can go back up to W.10 any time I want, even after the July 29, deadline. (I believe!). However, I want to do a dual boot for both 8.1 & 10. Does a...
Installation and Setup
Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?
I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit...
Installation and Setup
Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc
Having read a huge number of posts in this Forum, it seems that most (but not all) of the issues have arisen from upgrading via Download rather than installing from a Disc using a 'clean install'. I'm sure MS won't want to post out millions of...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums