Hi guys - I've browsed the forums for solutions but thought I'd ask here anyway:
Summary: I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my HP G4 Pavillion laptop and I'm encountering a Missing Operating System loop after a seemingly successful first phase install.
- My Hp laptop came with Win7 Home PreInstalled
- Two months ago I upgraded to Win10
- Last week my harddrive failed although I managed to recover some data
- I purchased a new 1TB harddrive and mounted it on my Desktop PC using a USB harrdrive dock. This desktop runs Win8.1. Like a smart alec I created 3 partitions - 1 for the new Windows to come, 1 for the old laptop data & one for all my dropbox files.
- I installed this drive into the laptop.
- I attempted to install Win10 via USB
- I'm greeted with a window that displays the 3 partitions (Where Do you Want to Install Windows).
- After receiving a few errors (in haste I did not record these - I recall the term GPT) I formatted and deleted these partitions to create one singular unallocated harddrive
- I tried reinstalling Win10 via the USB
- I got to the same window and selected this drive
- Windows 10 finalised the install process and notified me that the laptop would reboot
- After the ''Press Esc key for Startup Menu'' I am greeted with a ''Missing Operating System'' message
- I restart & select USB drive to install windows again
- I'm greeted with the same screens as previously
- The Window showing the harrdrives and partitions however, now shows the following:
Drive 0 Partition 1: Recovery Total Size: 450mb Freespace 147.0 MB Type: Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 2: Total Size: 100MB Freespace 76MB Type: System
Drive 0 Partition 3 Total Size: 16MB FreeSpace 16MB Type MSR (Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 4 Total Size: 931 GB Free Space 914GB Type Primary
16. Naturally I select Drive 0 Partition 4 (Primary) and click Next
17. Windows Installs as previously and reboots
18. I am met with the same Operating System Missing message.
19 I have tried a Repair Install instead of the Install feature but was greeted with the 'There was a problem resetting windows'
20. I did try certain bootrec commands and sadly in haste didn't record the results - all the operations completed successfully but it appears Windows has not installed to this disc. (I forget which command informed me of this but No OS partition was found.
21. I have tried formatting and deleting the above 1-4 partitions to make 1 ''original'' unallocated disc but am greeted with the same state.
Item: I've tried updating the BIOS but HPs instructions on the subject do not seem to work. (Basically I havent found a way to a) create a Bios recovery USB nor have I found a method to upgrade using the existing bios.) The BIOS is Insyde F.25 version. I was previously able to upgrade the machine to Win10 via MS Upgrade within windows.
Item: When I remove the USB drive or CD I'm greeted with a ''No Bootable Device - insert boot disk and press any key'' message
Item: If I select Notebook Harddisk from the boot menu I am greeted with the Missing OS message as usual.
Item: I have tried both with Product Key and I dont have a Product Key Options (I have a printed sticker for Win7)
Iitem: Knoppix works - I'm wondering if I should try formatting the HD through that
The only way to progress is to install Win10 from the USB or DVD all over again, format the partitions and watch it install only to get stuck in an endless loop. It's almost as if the installation is running virtually and no files are actually being copied!
Any help would be much, much appreciated as I don't have time to order HP recovery discs and need to use the laptop for a presentation on Monday. Thank you very much and I'm ready to supply any further info.