Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    10
       1 Week Ago #1

    ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)


    Hi all,


    • - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI
      - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep
      - Turned on today, no icons whatsoever.


      - Tried restarting the laptop
      - Tried restarting 'explorer.exe'


    Any tips for getting them back? It's annoying the hell out of me!

    Thanks in advance!

    Also:
    When I open the explorer when uploading or downloading something, the icons are there..

    Here's a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11htras.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	111696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odd.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	111697
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    10
       1 Week Ago #3

    Hi dalchina,

    Thanks for your response.

    I tried the steps suggested in your links but neither have worked :/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    10
       1 Week Ago #4

    Bumping because I'm desperate
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,419
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       1 Week Ago #5

    Try opening an admin command prompt, copy and paste this in(make sure you have an internet connection when running it):

    fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

    Let it run through until it shows pause.
    Reboot.
    If it showed errors, run it again, and reboot, repeating this until no more errors are shown.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    10
       1 Week Ago #6

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Try opening an admin command prompt, copy and paste this in(make sure you have an internet connection when running it):

    fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

    Let it run through until it shows pause.
    Reboot.
    If it showed errors, run it again, and reboot, repeating this until no more errors are shown.
    Hi Cliff,

    Thanks for your response.

    I followed your instructions, and no errors seemed to be present.
    I've rebooted but am still in the same position :/

    Here's the command prompt log if you just wanted to check over anything: http://pastebin.com/1hZ4AQsK

    Cheers!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,419
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       1 Week Ago #7

    Yeah it "looks like" your system is tip-top.

    Do you have the most current Windows 10 ISO for your machine, that you could mount in File Explorer and do a repair install?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    10
       1 Week Ago #8

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Yeah it "looks like" your system is tip-top.

    Do you have the most current Windows 10 ISO for your machine, that you could mount in File Explorer and do a repair install?
    Hi Cliff,

    Thanks for your swift response.

    Unfortunately, I do not have a current ISO :/ - I downloaded and used the USB installation method, then formatted the USB...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,419
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       1 Week Ago #9

    Go here and get it: Windows 10 ISO
    Then double click it, run set up, select to keep all program & files.

    If you have never done a repair install before or don't know how to do one, please read Brinks tutorial before doing anything: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    10
       1 Week Ago #10

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Go here and get it: Windows 10 ISO
    Then double click it, run set up, select to keep all program & files.

    If you have never done a repair install before or don't know how to do one, please read Brinks tutorial before doing anything: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    Hi Cliff,

    Thanks again for your quick reponse.

    My internet is on the shoddy side, so I'll download this overnight and will get back to you tomorrow.

    Cheers, Mix
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update
Hello, After a recent update , many of my applications show blank files or default application icons. This includes Skype, Office and VLC media player; as of yet I am unable to find what links these applications: 61877 From searching online,...
General Support
Solved missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar
Hi all please see the screenshot. 66788 is there a way to fix this? thanks!
General Support
Solved Modern Desktop Icons are Blank?
I created desktop icons for the People, Money, News and Weather apps in my user account. These initially appear with the correct icon but when I log off and log in again, the icons are blank. How can I ensure the correct icon is displayed?
General Support
taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons
My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help:shock:
General Support
Solved Desktop icons with blank square
Installed W10 8 days ago Today after a restart some of my desktop icons have a white square in front of them I made the view on large icons , normaly i use smal then only the white square is showing I tryed an icon-cache-rebuild without success ...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums