1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 74
    Win 10 64
       24 Oct 2016 #1

    System freeze when not attended. What to look for in event log


    Hello

    Intermittent problem. System freeze, unable to access any open applications No keyboard, nor mouse. Need to use the reset button to restart. Had the problem twice today, and about three time last week.

    What do I look for in the event log
    Any tool to diagnose?

    Martin
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       24 Oct 2016 #2

    Open Event Log, look for two things: First any messages about your Hard Drives. Next, any messages about Power or Sleep modes.

    If you can, run a Hard Driver tester, there are bunches on Hiren's Boot CD, google for a download link then boot to that, go to DOS programs and there are Hard Drive programs. GWscan works with a lot of different drives. If not, use the tool for your brand, which is usually a variation on the same app, and most HDD brand tools are in the same area.

    Check for Read Element Failure, this has been my #1 cause of freezes. If you get that message it's an easy fix, run the full scan on the drive, and it will lock out bad sectors. Then keep your eye on it and see if new messages about the HDD show up in Event log.

    Also, check for Blue Screen messages in the event log, there should be a numbered error, if you see those, especially more than one number, search both of them. Last week, I had a specific Blue Screen error, and by the two numbers it gave, I tracked it down to a crappy Display Driver update.

    Check both Applications and System event logs, If you see error messages re: power, standby, hibernation, anyth8ing related to that, try changing your power settings. Are you telling your system to sleep/hibernate after a certain amount of time? Try changing the time, or turning that off.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,150
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       25 Oct 2016 #3

    1. Backup your PC
    2. Run chkdsk on your system drive
    3. Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt
    4. Update all drivers from within Device Manager
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 74
    Win 10 64
       25 Oct 2016 #4

    XweAponX said: View Post
    Open Event Log, look for two things: First any messages about your Hard Drives. Next, any messages about Power or Sleep modes.

    If you can, run a Hard Driver tester, there are bunches on Hiren's Boot CD, google for a download link then boot to that, go to DOS programs and there are Hard Drive programs. GWscan works with a lot of different drives. If not, use the tool for your brand, which is usually a variation on the same app, and most HDD brand tools are in the same area.

    Check for Read Element Failure, this has been my #1 cause of freezes. If you get that message it's an easy fix, run the full scan on the drive, and it will lock out bad sectors. Then keep your eye on it and see if new messages about the HDD show up in Event log.

    Also, check for Blue Screen messages in the event log, there should be a numbered error, if you see those, especially more than one number, search both of them. Last week, I had a specific Blue Screen error, and by the two numbers it gave, I tracked it down to a crappy Display Driver update.

    Check both Applications and System event logs, If you see error messages re: power, standby, hibernation, anyth8ing related to that, try changing your power settings. Are you telling your system to sleep/hibernate after a certain amount of time? Try changing the time, or turning that off.
    hello
    Thanks for the reply

    System just did the same problem.

    No error found on my SSD
    No blue screen message in the event viewer

    I suspect one of my graphic card. My system has two and the monitors hooked to of of them went with no image and a white back color. The others was displaying their original image. I had no control on the mouse nor the keyboard and again the only alternative was to use the reset button.

    I'm doing the Nvdia update, but i don't think that this is a software problem.

    I will look for more test before going out to by a new card

    Martin
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 74
    Win 10 64
       25 Oct 2016 #5

    Steve C said: View Post
    1. Backup your PC
    2. Run chkdsk on your system drive
    3. Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt
    4. Update all drivers from within Device Manager
    Hello Steve

    System crashed two time this morning
    No error found using CHKDSK and sfc /scannow

    Did the Nvdia update

    Martin
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,150
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       25 Oct 2016 #6

    Its could be a GPU driver problem. Ensure you remove the current NVidia drivers from Add/Remove programs before adding the new one. Also, check you are using a WHQL driver. I have an AMD GPU and they have a habit of publishing non-WHQL drivers. Also check the connections from your motherboard to all peripherals, including the 1 or 2 power cables to the GPU since this can cause problems if the GPU can't draw enough current.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       26 Oct 2016 #7

    arjfca said: View Post
    hello
    Thanks for the reply

    System just did the same problem.

    No error found on my SSD
    No blue screen message in the event viewer

    I suspect one of my graphic card. My system has two and the monitors hooked to of of them went with no image and a white back color. The others was displaying their original image. I had no control on the mouse nor the keyboard and again the only alternative was to use the reset button.

    I'm doing the Nvdia update, but i don't think that this is a software problem.

    I will look for more test before going out to by a new card

    Martin
    Might want to try rolling back any updates for the card that's malfucntioning. If you can't get into Windows to do it from Device Manager. boot to a Windows 10 installer and run System Restore, see if you have any restore points from before you last updated the graphics drivers. Windows 10 is notorious for bad graphics driver updates, two of which bricked my system. And never, ever, apply any graphic driver updates from WUpdate. Search the Tutorials for ways to exclude those from regular updates.

    Also, if you have an SSD hard drive, there may be tools from the manufacturer that can check it for errors, you won't get the same kind of errors an HDD will, and you can't even defrag the drive. Raxco makes a tool that recovers free space and that has worked for the systems I've worked on that had SSDs. But the mfgr should have utilities that can check it for errors that regular tools can't find.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Start Menu & Taskbar Freeze Event ID 2484
Ever since I ran the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Which I cannot rollback from) my taskbar and start menu will stop working after about 2-3 clicks. This then requires me to restart explorer.exe from task manager. This issue is happening on all...
General Support
Regular system freeze with HD LED stuck ON
Hello, i never had that on 7; since i'm on 10, and that's for all units, the system freeze very often. First i thought it's cause of WinDefender but nothing changed after turning it off.. I have no idea what's causing this, do you? I use TeraCopy...
General Support
freeze after system reset
I was having major issues on my HP DV7 laptop with win 10 so tried resetting to win 7 and now for 5+ hours has been stuck on "resetting this PC 99%". can I power it off and restart or should I just let it keep going? there was nothing worth saving...
General Support
Random freeze at certain interval , Event id 153
I had my win 10 installed for about 2 weeks , but there's some problem about randomly freeze at some interval , so i checked event viewer and got event id 153 which is say about "The IO operation at logical block address 0x204d96b8 for Disk 0 (PDO...
General Support
BSOD Kernel event ID 41 error and print screen freeze
Hello Hello, I'm having some annoying issue's I recently clean installed window's 10 Specs I have MSI z87 mpower max mobo
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums