Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 87
    win 7 pro
       18 Oct 2016 #1

    Search icon on taskbar


    Just had the latest Win 10 update, .After 3 hours of waiting I have now lost the ordinary search icon.

    I do not use Cortana, I just want the search icon (magnifying glass type) on the tasbar and not the Cortana one.

    How do I achieve this? Win 10 pro
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 359
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit v10586.3
       18 Oct 2016 #2

    right click empty space on the taskbar click cortana select show search box. ignore the cortana icon when searching or better yet disable cortana. i believe the cortana icon stays with search box regardless.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,191
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       18 Oct 2016 #3

    What sort of search do you want it to start?
    1. Cortana search of files and folders is limited to what is indexed by Windows search
    2. File explorer has a search field - and search there is both what is indexed and what is not.
    3. Far better search tools - far faster, more comprehensive, more flexible, more options, easier to use:
    Ultrasearch
    Everything (v1.4b or better) by Void Tools
    Locate32 (which I use but older).

    These are free and 'instant'.

    I've never had a magnifying glass icon on the taskbar. Having hidden Cortana (via rt click taskbar) I only see it if I use e.g. Windows key + S.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,346
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       18 Oct 2016 #4

    To save room on the Taskbar I chose to Show Cortana icon, still functions but just need one click to get the same dialog box.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 87
    win 7 pro
       18 Oct 2016 #5

    Full search of everything on the pc. I used to have the simple mag glass. Never mind Win 10 let us down again. Still regretting ever "upgrading". Now i have to use an independent app. M/s seems to do as they please on every new update. This latest seems to have screwed several things up, including language settings. Don't see why we are being forced to use Cortana, it's RUBBISH.

    dalchina said: View Post
    What sort of search do you want it to start?
    1. Cortana search of files and folders is limited to what is indexed by Windows search
    2. File explorer has a search field - and search there is both what is indexed and what is not.
    3. Far better search tools - far faster, more comprehensive, more flexible, more options, easier to use:
    Ultrasearch
    Everything (v1.4b or better) by Void Tools
    Locate32 (which I use but older).

    These are free and 'instant'.

    I've never had a magnifying glass icon on the taskbar. Having hidden Cortana (via rt click taskbar) I only see it if I use e.g. Windows key + S.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,346
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       18 Oct 2016 #6

    And the Search box in File Explorer can't do the job? It has a symbol I'd take as the magnifying glass. With the Cortana icon I see the magnifying glass on the left of where it says Ask me anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10
       18 Oct 2016 #7

    carrotmuseum said: View Post
    Just had the latest Win 10 update, .After 3 hours of waiting I have now lost the ordinary search icon.

    I do not use Cortana, I just want the search icon (magnifying glass type) on the tasbar and not the Cortana one.

    How do I achieve this? Win 10 pro
    Windows 10 Home never had a magnifying glass type icon although I can't speak for the Pro version. Maybe you were updated to Home instead of Pro?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 7,235
    W10
       18 Oct 2016 #8

    carrotmuseum said: View Post
    Full search of everything on the pc. I used to have the simple mag glass. Never mind Win 10 let us down again. Still regretting ever "upgrading". Now i have to use an independent app. M/s seems to do as they please on every new update. This latest seems to have screwed several things up, including language settings. Don't see why we are being forced to use Cortana, it's RUBBISH.
    The 'Windows 8' style 'Search Everywhere' feature got pulled before the 14xxx Builds,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000115.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	106609 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000114.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	106610

    It's either Search Explorer: explorer shell:::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b}

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000116.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	106614

    or use Cortana, (without using 3rd party)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,191
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       19 Oct 2016 #9

    carrotmuseum said: View Post
    Now i have to use an independent app. This latest seems to have screwed several things up, including language settings. Don't see why we are being forced to use Cortana, it's RUBBISH.
    Hi, no one forces you to do anything. You're not forced to use Cortana. Cortana (my opinion) is a gimmick, a marketing ploy, responding to Siri e.g. You don't have to use the Win 10 start menu. You don't have to use tiles. You don't have to use the universal apps.

    I don't.

    Use Win 10 as a desktop OS. Start thinking of MS as providing an OS not a package that provides everything you need.
    Choose the best of class tools that meet your needs. Be happy a good number of those are free.

    All that said, MS has made a real mess of handling changes it makes, and in delivering updates and the failures both in those for many and in the delivery of them.

    I've not experienced a problem with language settings in the last months - certainly changing language from e.g. US to UK English is not straightforward and lends itself to problems and confusion. Just wondering what your language issue might be?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 87
    win 7 pro
       19 Oct 2016 #10

    Berton said: View Post
    And the Search box in File Explorer can't do the job? It has a symbol I'd take as the magnifying glass. With the Cortana icon I see the magnifying glass on the left of where it says Ask me anything.
    the ask me anything has a circle. how would I put the explorer mag glass on the taskbar
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Search Icon or Box - Show or Remove on Windows 10 Taskbar
How to Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 The Search box on your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. It also allows you to be able to turn on or off to have Cortana give you suggestions,...
Tutorials
Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update
Hi All, After the recent 'Anniversary Update', I noticed that several things have either gone missing, or need to be re-set. The first thing I noticed was that the icon for "Search", (the little magnifying glass icon), is missing from my taskbar....
General Support
Solved search icon on taskbar
I have both desktop and laptop set up on 10. The desktop has "Search the web and Windows" on the task bar. It's not on the laptop. How do I get it. Thanks.
General Support
Windows 10 windows button,search and audio icon on taskbar wont start
So i recently installed windows 10 and everything was good in the beggining but suddenly the windows button,search and audio on the taskbar just wont start. I press them and nothing happens. The only way for me to turn of my laptop is to ctrl alt...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums