Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 Professional
       15 Oct 2016 #1

    Sleep mode not working


    A week ago stopped working from my normal 3 minute setting. The screen turns off after 3 min, pc remains on, but I have to push the start/shut off button to get the monitor on again.
    Can't think of what software I might have added that could cause this.
    My Phoenix BIOS Power Management is set up, for quite a long while as:
    ACPCI .........................................: Enabled
    " " Suspend Type....................: S3(STR)
    Run VGABIOS if S3 Resume: Auto
    Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN..........: Instant Off
    Wake-Up by PCI CARD..........: Enabled
    USB KB Wake-Up from S3...: Disabled
    Resume by Alarm....................: " " " "
    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows X (various flavours)
       15 Oct 2016 #2

    What version of Windows do you use? Type winver at command prompt...

    Windows 10 Insider build 14942 had this issue. If you have this build there is an easy fix - just upgrade. Otherwise first type sfc /scannow in admin command prompt and report if there are errors.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 Professional
       16 Oct 2016 #3

    AndreTen said: View Post
    What version of Windows do you use? Type winver at command prompt...

    Windows 10 Insider build 14942 had this issue. If you have this build there is an easy fix - just upgrade. Otherwise first type sfc /scannow in admin command prompt and report if there are errors.
    Build: 14393
    thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows X (various flavours)
       16 Oct 2016 #4

    rcten said: View Post
    Build: 14393
    thanks
    One of your components (in PC) doesn't recognizes signal to go to sleep. Usually this is problem with drivers, and first to think of is graphic card. Try to reinstall the graphic card drivers. Or install the latest that work. If you have approximate date when this issue started - look at the event viewer (reliability history will also give you info about that - just click start and type reliability...).

    If drivers reinstall won't help, open admin command prompt and type
    powercfg /sleepstudy
    this will give you report of what's going on. Unfortunately, this reports usually doesn't help a lot, but may give you an idea.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 Professional
       16 Oct 2016 #5

    Hi Andre:
    -When say re-instal graphic driver should uninstall the present driver and installed the latest reliable driver?
    -In Reliability I only find "Acrobat Reader DC" software Unsuccessful Installation in Oct 10, 2016
    and Successful Installation of same Oct 13, 2016.
    -I am not able to sign in command prompt because access requires higher hierarchy than my W10 password. ??
    Thank You! From sunny Miami, Florida. Just a joke.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows X (various flavours)
       16 Oct 2016 #6

    rcten said: View Post
    Hi Andre:
    -When say re-instal graphic driver should uninstall the present driver and installed the latest reliable driver?
    -In Reliability I only find "Acrobat Reader DC" software Unsuccessful Installation in Oct 10, 2016
    and Successful Installation of same Oct 13, 2016.
    -I am not able to sign in command prompt because access requires higher hierarchy than my W10 password. ??
    Thank You! From sunny Miami, Florida. Just a joke.
    So, you are not the only user of this PC? If you are not administrator, there isn't much you can do, not even install drivers.

    If everything worked before, and you didn't install any software, maybe some USB device? That could be the culprit.
    From the sunny side of the Alps
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 Professional
       17 Oct 2016 #7

    I have upgraded the latest driver via downloading it to my desktop, right clicking mouse to show "Run as Administrator" and installing then restarted pc. Still no sleep.
    Strange about the command prompt not being able to sign in. No one else, for sure, uses my PC. The command prompt returns this as pe the image attached. My wife has her own, there no one else in the house. But I know what you men that you can't help in such a case a a clean install of W10 will be required.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Command Prompt Image JPG.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	106400
    Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows X (various flavours)
       17 Oct 2016 #8

    rcten said: View Post
    I have upgraded the latest driver via downloading it to my desktop, right clicking mouse to show "Run as Administrator" and installing then restarted pc. Still no sleep.
    Strange about the command prompt not being able to sign in. No one else, for sure, uses my PC. The command prompt returns this as pe the image attached. My wife has her own, there no one else in the house. But I know what you men that you can't help in such a case a a clean install of W10 will be required.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Command Prompt Image JPG.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	106400
    Thanks!
    In start menu, right click on start and select run as admin, or same in start menu under Windows, or in File explorer (File, command select run as admin)
    I've checked around and there was a lot of this issue for your motherboard, but long time ago. Strange is, that it worked until last week, so BIOS and hardware should be OK. There were some Windows updates last week and some could interfere with power settings. Try to reset power plan (Control panel / harware /power options
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016_10_17_09_56_121.png   2016_10_17_10_16_271.png  
    Last edited by AndreTen; 17 Oct 2016 at 05:18.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 10
    windows 10 Professional
       17 Oct 2016 #9

    This is my return to powercfg/sleepstudy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powercfg-sleepstudy JPG.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	106404
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows X (various flavours)
       17 Oct 2016 #10

    Now type
    powercfg /A
    This should report which states are available on system.

    Useful are also /energy and /LASTWAKE switches (type /? for help)

    /LASTWAKE will give you info which component wake your PC, but is not answer to your problem.

    /A will give you answer if system recognizes hardware as sleep capable (S3 state).
    Perhaps power plan reset will help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Sleep Mode is not working properly, gpu fans go crazy.
Hello, I did a clean install months ago, and since then, sleep mode isn't working as it's should be. What happens is that when I click "Sleep" my monitor, keyboard, and mouse would be turned off while pc is still working and my gpu fans would go...
General Support
Sleep mode
As of this morning my computer goes to sleep every 3 minutes. I have everything on "never" The screen saver setting is set on "none" Is there anyway to stop this from happening?
Performance & Maintenance
Solved windows 10 sleep mode not working
so im placing the computer in sleep mode sometimes it goes to sleep and then wakes up after 1 min or it just turns of the screens. i found it in the event viewer but that wasn't so much of a help... i think i turned of almost everything in device...
General Support
Solved Goes out of sleep mode
Dear forum Does any one else use the sleep mode function? When using mine, well then it works, also when starting it up again. My problem is that if i want to go to bed, and put sleep mode on, then it turns on by it self after a while....
General Support
PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode
My computer keeps shutting down after I put it into sleep mode, then when i start it back up it says that it shut down incorrectly. This does not happen all the time, only sporadically. Other times it will not go into sleep mode altogether!...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums