Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

  1. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       17 Oct 2016 #161

    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74123.exe

    HP has two recovery methods but you just tried the inplace which it the same as their 1st one so a Factory Reset is required.

    The File above will update the HP Recovery Manager if needed, you then need to Run Recovery Manager and Create the Factory Restore Media No#6 according to the Website. and then Run the Factory restore No#7

    I'll try posting direct links below..... doesn't work sorrythey are not numbered just count down the blue links here on the top of the main page

    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...c04758961#AbT6
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 83
    windows 10 anniversary ed
       17 Oct 2016 #162

    Kbird said: View Post
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74123.exe

    HP has two recovery methods but you just tried the inplace which it the same as their 1st one so a Factory Reset is required.

    The File above will update the HP Recovery manager if needed, you then need to Run Recovery Manager and Create the Factory Reset Media according to the Website. I'll try posting direct links below..... doesn't work sorry
    they are not numbered just count down the blue links here on the top of the main page

    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...c04758961#AbT6
    I will try that. I will note that I was unable to shut down mcaffee. only avast. I set up config.sys to shutdown mcaffee, but it turned back on during the restarts. there were a number of errors in the event log. something with windows 32k corrupted.. thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       17 Oct 2016 #163

    To create the Media , which you are only allowed to do once , you will need a 32GB USB Drive or 5-8 Blank DVDs I just read on the Website.

    If you don't want to buy those or can't then the next option is to use Hp Recovery Manager and do a System Recovery ...number 4 in the list... it will wipe C:\ only and reinstall windows 10.

    KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 83
    windows 10 anniversary ed
       18 Oct 2016 #164

    Kbird said: View Post
    To create the Media , which you are only allowed to do once , you will need a 32GB USB Drive or 5-8 Blank DVDs I just read on the Website.

    If you don't want to buy those or can't then the next option is to use Hp Recovery Manager and do a System Recovery ...number 4 in the list... it will wipe C:\ only and reinstall windows 10.

    KB
    i have a 32 gb usb which i had bought for the use for the iso. i have the iso and other installation software on there, but maybe i can move it to the external hard drive temporarily....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 83
    windows 10 anniversary ed
       18 Oct 2016 #165

    so, the backing up part, is the same as creating the image, correct? maybe i have already backed up everything that i can. why does it require to put everything on a USB to do factory reset? did i read somewhere on there that it was something regarding user-defined settings, or some parts that might have been changed since factory settings? What is the advantage of simply having it reformat C only as opposed to the Factory reset of everything?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       18 Oct 2016 #166

    it will fix D: as well as C:\ and give you a key for use in the future in the event you really do get a Ransomware or other Virus.

    Move everything off the USB Key to the Passport as I believe the USB Key gets formatted wiping all existing files when it makes the Recover USB. You maybe able to copy files like the iso back to a Folder on it later if it is not full.

    Yes you did a Macrium Image so all your files are backed up.

    once it is all refreshed by the HP Recovery disk , the 1st thing to do is install Macrium again and make an image of the Fresh install , so you have a copy of a clean Win10 (no virus/factory settings) and then set macrium on a schedule to do it at least once a week. ( i use it every 3 days) .

    KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 83
    windows 10 anniversary ed
       21 Oct 2016 #167

    Kbird said: View Post
    it will fix D: as well as C:\ and give you a key for use in the future in the event you really do get a Ransomware or other Virus.

    Move everything off the USB Key to the Passport as I believe the USB Key gets formatted wiping all existing files when it makes the Recover USB. You maybe able to copy files like the iso back to a Folder on it later if it is not full.

    Yes you did a Macrium Image so all your files are backed up.

    once it is all refreshed by the HP Recovery disk , the 1st thing to do is install Macrium again and make an image of the Fresh install , so you have a copy of a clean Win10 (no virus/factory settings) and then set macrium on a schedule to do it at least once a week. ( i use it every 3 days) .

    KB
    After factory reset, Windows 10 made all files read only.. I would say this is not because of a virus. I did not install the image, or change permissions. Onedrive is on here, but not yet synced. in that, will installing group policy editor affect anything? I want to prevent onedrive from syncing, because apparently that is also something that does this.

    see here

    I also did not install strange files.

    the only things I did do was re-install all the fonts. I replaced one file in the drivers directory without changing permissions.
    Last edited by JoshuaM; 21 Oct 2016 at 12:37.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 83
    windows 10 anniversary ed
       21 Oct 2016 #168

    Could there be anything in the Event Viewer logs that I should look for?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 83
    windows 10 anniversary ed
       21 Oct 2016 #169

    For instance, in the event log, there was a lot of special logons, and this said "audit success:"

    - System

    - Provider

    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
    [ Guid] {54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}

    EventID 4672

    Version 0

    Level 0

    Task 12548

    Opcode 0

    Keywords 0x8020000000000000

    - TimeCreated

    [ SystemTime] 2016-10-21T17:04:47.424311500Z

    EventRecordID 8105

    - Correlation

    [ ActivityID] {EE6FAF83-2B87-0001-87AF-6FEE872BD201}

    - Execution

    [ ProcessID] 1020
    [ ThreadID] 380

    Channel Security

    Computer LAPTOP-2016B3GJ

    Security


    - EventData

    SubjectUserSid S-1-5-18
    SubjectUserName SYSTEM
    SubjectDomainName NT AUTHORITY
    SubjectLogonId 0x3e7
    PrivilegeList SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege SeTcbPrivilege SeSecurityPrivilege SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege SeLoadDriverPrivilege SeBackupPrivilege SeRestorePrivilege SeDebugPrivilege SeAuditPrivilege SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege SeImpersonatePrivilege

    but there are various errors in other sections, so I don't know if anything is related.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 1,383
    Win10 1607
       21 Oct 2016 #170

    JoshuaM said: View Post
    After factory reset, Windows 10 made all files read only.. I would say this is not because of a virus. I did not install the image, or change permissions. Onedrive is on here, but not yet synced. in that, will installing group policy editor affect anything? I want to prevent onedrive from syncing, because apparently that is also something that does this.

    see here

    I also did not install strange files.

    the only things I did do was re-install all the fonts. I replaced one file in the drivers directory without changing permissions.

    GPE is only available in Win10 Pro , but personally I have never seen One Drive cause anything like this.......


    JoshuaM said: View Post
    Could there be anything in the Event Viewer logs that I should look for?
    Nothing I can think of but maybe @simrick has another Idea or two ? cos if a Factory restore does not fix it then I am not sure what to suggest unless your Fonts contained something Bad? did you look at read only before installing them? , how are you telling that EVERYTHING is read only.

    What Driver did you change and why?

    JoshuaM said: View Post
    For instance, in the event log, there was a lot of special logons, and this said "audit success:"


    EventID 4672

    but there are various errors in other sections, so I don't know if anything is related.
    Just because it is in the Event log does not mean it is an Error , Windows Logs Everything.... I get 4672 too . I believe cos I use Netplwz to bypass the need to enter my password at every logon .... and to bypass the lock screen.

    KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
External DVD burner will only read discs
Greetings, last night i tried to burn off some photos with my external dvd-rw drive "Samsung SE-208". However when i tried it said the burn failed to initiate. It would also make several doodoots like i was plugin and unpling stuff from usb....
Drivers and Hardware
Outputting Directories To Text
i am trying to create a text file with a list of directories, but having troubles because i can't get as specific as i would like. dir /s /b /ad /on > filename.txt and some programs i have tried aren't getting what i want exactly 1. the root...
General Support
Two C:\Users\ Directories - Can I Delete One of Them?
Somehow I've ended up with two profiles: C:\Users\Beau Johnson and C:\Users\Beauregard Johnson The C:\Users\Beauregard Johnson does not have a single file in any folder, and has only these folders: ...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Windows 10 and DVD directories
I have an issue I can't seem to find decent info about. My Win 10 laptop won't see files and folders on DVDs I burned on another box unless I make an ISO on the Win 7 machine first, and then copy it over to the Win 10 machine and "mount" the ISO. ...
General Support
Merge Directories
I have two large Directories (about 25 GB each, 6-7000 files) that contain similar information. One may have newer files than the other. I would like to merge them into one Directory and eliminate duplicate files. Is there some software that...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums