hey, i'm new here (literally just found this site on google, haha...), so first off, sorry if im doing something wrong in terms of site usage. i normally wouldnt come to sites like this, but im getting a bit desperate. im a bit noobish with windows 10, so if you need me to check stuff/get info/etc, please explain how to do it.
so i guess i'll just go right into what's wrong. windows 10 is continually not responding. i prefer to use that term over freezing, because it acts like a program that isn't responding-- i can still move my mouse around and such, but attempting to interact with the program goes no where. "windows 10" in this case refers to the taskbar and everything attached to it and all of my programs i have open. i dont know about the desktop; i usually have chrome open and fully expanded, and i cant minimize it when this happens...
i dont quite know how the issue is triggered. i'll be going about my normal business and it'll suddenly just lock up. i've noticed that it does seem to happen more if i have chrome open. when win10 starts not responding, it sometimes comes back (though it can take a good 10+ minutes). other times, i give up and just turn off the laptop via the power button.
which brings me to the other half of this problem: booting up my computer. it used to be really fast, but now, it's suddenly taking a really, really long time. specifically, my computer shows me a screen which has the logo for "dell". this loads up fine. it then shows me the windows logo and a loading circle beneath it: this part takes a very long time, if it loads at all. i often have to do 2-3 reboots and get a repair menu just to be able to get to the login screen.
the login screen also takes a long time. once i advance past the windows logo & circle menu, my screen will go black. if i move my mouse, it shows up. attempting to type or otherwise interact with the screen does nothing. after a while, either the login page (or rather, the picture they show that you have to click on to sign in), or i get another loading screen (red coloured-- presumably pulled from my computer's theme --with a circle of dots) that will eventually load the login page.
once in, i often get the not responding issue i mentioned above.
this issue has been going on for a few days (since nov 15 if i had to guess, but i have lost my sense of date and time, so that may not be completely correct). im not aware of any updates done before this all started. i was just using my computer as normal when windows 10 suddenly started not responding.
some misc notes you might want:
- my windows version is 10586.11
- i say computer out of habit, but its actually a laptop. it's a dell.
- i upgraded to win10 back in september
- my computer is only nearing a couple of years old and has not presented issues like this in the past
- win10 is up to date with the latest updates.
- i do not have a virus. i did a full scan with the free version of avast, and the only "infected" file was just a program that isn't well known-- no one else with the program has this issue and we all got the program from the same location, so its definitely not that.
- i tried to use ccleaner to see if that would help. it didnt.
- sfc /scannow did not help
- i dont usually have a lot of programs/internet tabs open
- when chrome is open, my computer seems to not respond more often. however, it has shown capable of being fine for several hours with chrome open, so it may just be that i think it does because i practically always have chrome open and my computer just so happens to not pitch a fit when i close it for a bit.
im sure you probably need info related to what versions of stuff i have, but i dont know how to get them or what in specific you'll need, so please tell me if you do.