Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 40
    W10 Home 1607, build 14393.105
       11 Sep 2015 #1

    Clock "slows down", yet is able to manually sync correctly


    Hello!

    Windows clock somehow manages to get out of sync even when the computer is up and running. For example, I now synced the clock and it went from about 12:17 to 14:05! Usually the difference is not so big, about 5-10 minutes. It also happens when I've set the time manually. And when I shut the computer down or put it to sleep, it resumes correctly (not entirely sure though as the time is constantly showing wrong results). When manually switching off the automatic sync and then turning it back on, the system receives the correct time from time.windows.com. Yet it isn't able to sync itself correctly automatically.

    The motherboard is now about six years old - it feels that I might have to change its battery. Should I go forward with that or could the problem lie elsewhere?

    Edit: During posting this question (about 10 minutes), the system lost 3 minutes! This forum showed the correct time, my system did not.
    Last edited by Szark; 11 Sep 2015 at 06:22. Reason: Additional info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 610
    W10
       11 Sep 2015 #2

    It might well be that the CMOS battery is getting empty. Before you get a new one, you can also try the below procedure:

    This issue can be caused by the Windows Time service being corrupt. You can try to take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

    Run the following command in an elevated command prompt: net stop w32time
    w32tm /unregister
    w32tm /register
    net start w32time
    Then, please restart the computer to test the issue again.

    If any error message was received when doing these steps, please let us know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 7
       11 Sep 2015 #3

    Your system battery is on its way out. Get a replacement.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,389
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       11 Sep 2015 #4

    Szark said: View Post
    Hello!

    Windows clock somehow manages to get out of sync even when the computer is up and running. For example, I now synced the clock and it went from about 12:17 to 14:05! Usually the difference is not so big, about 5-10 minutes. It also happens when I've set the time manually. And when I shut the computer down or put it to sleep, it resumes correctly (not entirely sure though as the time is constantly showing wrong results). When manually switching off the automatic sync and then turning it back on, the system receives the correct time from time.windows.com. Yet it isn't able to sync itself correctly automatically.

    The motherboard is now about six years old - it feels that I might have to change its battery. Should I go forward with that or could the problem lie elsewhere?

    Edit: During posting this question (about 10 minutes), the system lost 3 minutes! This forum showed the correct time, my system did not.
    Are you, by chance, dual booting with a Linux distro?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 40
    W10 Home 1607, build 14393.105
       12 Sep 2015 #5

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Are you, by chance, dual booting with a Linux distro?
    No, I'm not. This system had a W7Pro clean install plus user-initiated W10 upgrade on the launch day.

    I now tried Joergi's solution:
    Attachment 37010

    I'll report if there's any improvement.

    Thanks for suggestions!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,389
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       12 Sep 2015 #6

    Szark said: View Post
    No, I'm not. This system had a W7Pro clean install plus user-initiated W10 upgrade on the launch day.

    I now tried Joergi's solution:
    Attachment 37010

    I'll report if there's any improvement.

    Thanks for suggestions!
    Have you tried changing the time sync settings from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 2,595
    10 Pro
       12 Sep 2015 #7

    The CMOS battery isn't used when PC is running - clock - Why do PCs still require a CMOS battery? - Super User and as time is kept OK when turned off the battery is most likely not the issue.

    You could have a look here for other causes (I know it is an old thread but so is your MB ) Slow Clock or Lagged Time on Win7 x64
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 40
    W10 Home 1607, build 14393.105
       13 Sep 2015 #8

    It seems that as of now, changing the update server address from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov did solve the problem! The clock has been correct for at least 12 hours

    Thanks to everyone for input!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,389
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       13 Sep 2015 #9

    Szark said: View Post
    It seems that as of now, changing the update server address from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov did solve the problem! The clock has been correct for at least 12 hours

    Thanks to everyone for input!
    You're welcome, keep us updated please.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 40
    W10 Home 1607, build 14393.105
       18 Sep 2015 #10

    So, out of nowhere, the problem has returned. I checked and the update server is still time.nist.gov (meaning Windows hasn't forced the default one).

    It all still happens when the computer is running, so I'm reluctant in terms of going for a new battery, though maybe I should just do it "just in case". I've heard different opinions about whether the clock is using the CMOS battery during computer uptime or not.

    Edit: I think I'm going to try the motherboard's (Gigabyte) support service also.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Unable to create or save files in "Documents" and "Pictures" folders
Hi, as with many I have upgraded to Windows 10 today and it is going well except for the fact I am unable to save any files or create new ones in the Documents and Pictures folders or any sub-folders within these folders, and I have no idea why it...
General Support
Desktop Clock and Calendar "Gadgets"?
Is there any way to get a Desktop Clock and Calendar like the Windows 7 gadgets? The other gadget I miss is All CPU Meter, any thoughts?
Software and Apps
WLM Not displaying font correctly when "reply" is used
Hi I'm using Windows Live Mail and when I select "Reply" the whole email and any part I type shows at about 300% view. This also happens with "Reply all" and "Forward" This just started happening and I have no idea why, I probably changed...
Browsers and Email
Solved "Error (0x800F081F) - DISM Unable to find source" & "sfc /scannow"
I have upgraded 5 machines and clean installed 3 machines. Experienced an issue with one machine with continuous corruption problems After the 3rd attempt I discovered that even with a Clean Install of Win 10 I get unrepairable errors - Sorry...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums