Windows 10 delivered and installed 29 July, replacing Windows 7, but when I go to MS sites, it identifies my version of Windows as 8.x, so that, for example, I cannot download MS Maps, which I apparently deleted in my early use of Windows 10.
What do I need to change so that MS corrrectly recognizes its own software?
Later: I found a command, wsreset, which clears the store, so I visited that location, which then informed me that the Maps app was installed, so I opened it, and, yes, it now works. I closed the app, returned to the store, which informed me that I am using Windows 8.1, and again offered to let me update to Windows 10, the version of Windows that I am using. The "New Math" is now quite a few years old, but apparently has not yet penetrated Fortress Microsoft, which believes that, under the Old Math, 10 is 8.1.
And, the next day, I got an answer on the MS Answers site: It is the User Agent Stings on both of our computers are what are identifying us as using Windows 8 (my machine,) Windows 7 (my wife's infernal device. Nice to see that I am slightly more advanced than she is, 8 to 7....
I've posted a request on mozillaZine as to how to change the string.
A Day Later
Tuned out that the answer was not the User Agent String. Somewhat out of desperation, I restarted Fx with all extensions disabled. In that state, MS Windows Support showed that I am using Windows 10, so I restarted Fx, which re-enables all extensions. Before starting the standard procedure of manually disabling groups of extensions, restarting testing, until the culprit is found, I went back to the MS site, which again showed that I am using Windows 10. Just to be sure, I restarted Fx, and all is well.
Starting Fx with all extensions disabled though its help system is known to sometimes fix problems; in fact, I read a mozillaZine thread this morning about that happening; a moderator commented that, yes, this does take place, and no, why it takes place is unknown.
I suspect that my instance may well be the first time that doing what I did fixed whatever it fixed in terms of the browser misidentifying the version of Windows in use.