Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 119
    Windows 10 Pro
       5 Days Ago #1

    Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?


    Hey Everyone,

    Good day to all of you!

    I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a Drive letter of E and F. I am doing a wipe and a clean install of Windows 10 pro x64 once I get the new drives. After the wipe and clean install, I will be plugging one at a time the new HDD's. Once I start plugging in the hard drives I had previously what will happen? Does windows reassign them automatically the drive letters or will they override the new drives? Because I don't want them to override the new hard drives.

    Thank you for your help and assistance!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 9
    Win 10 Pro
       5 Days Ago #2

    if you want to assign new letters to the new drives and keep you current drive letters assigned like they are now i suggest you take a screenshot of pc so you can manually reassign the various drive letters. i have the following saved in a folder on my backup drive called post os install. hope this helps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Letters.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	111858

    fyi after fixing the drive letter assignments i hide the drive letters so everything lines up numerically and alphabetically
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 119
    Windows 10 Pro
       5 Days Ago #3

    xXWhacerXx said: View Post
    if you want to assign new letters to the new drives and keep you current drive letters assigned like they are now i suggest you take a screenshot of pc so you can manually reassign the various drive letters. i have the following saved in a folder on my backup drive called post os install. hope this helps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Letters.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	111858

    fyi after fixing the drive letter assignments i hide the drive letters so everything lines up numerically and alphabetically
    Thank you for your help and assistance xXWhacerXx! If you can clarify this first, because I believe I saw a warning on this that by changing the drive letter can ruin other things that are mapped to it. I would like to not change the drive letters once they are assigned, but if you are not having any problems I guess that could be something that I saw wrong.

    Also, do you think that having the drive letters as explained before and plugging in the other ones that had the same drive letter will overwrite the new ones or change them automatically?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 9
    Win 10 Pro
       5 Days Ago #4

    now if you have items that are mapped as in another computer on the network seeing the drive, then yes when you click on the item from that computer and the drive letter has changed it won't find it. but as far as just accessing secondary drives on the same computer no the drive letters changing won't have any adverse effect, unless say you have various files from you main drive stored on a secondary drive. for example some people move their programs to a second drive to save space on c and c accesses the files on that drive to run the installed program(s).

    if i understand you correctly you want to rerun your os, hookup the new drives and not have their drive letters automatically changed? if that's the case then they will keep whatever letter windows or you assigned to them no matter how many drive you attach after them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 119
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Days Ago #5

    xXWhacerXx said: View Post
    now if you have items that are mapped as in another computer on the network seeing the drive, then yes when you click on the item from that computer and the drive letter has changed it won't find it. but as far as just accessing secondary drives on the same computer no the drive letters changing won't have any adverse effect, unless say you have various files from you main drive stored on a secondary drive. for example some people move their programs to a second drive to save space on c and c accesses the files on that drive to run the installed program(s).

    if i understand you correctly you want to rerun your os, hookup the new drives and not have their drive letters automatically changed? if that's the case then they will keep whatever letter windows or you assigned to them no matter how many drive you attach after them.
    Thank you again xXWhacerXx for your response, time and assistance. You are understanding correctly. To reiterate to make sure I am understanding. When I start afresh, by rerunning or installing a clean install of Windows and then start to plug-in the hard drives one by one, Windows will assign the drive letter that is first available and go down the list of other drives I plug-in there after, but any previous drive letters that were assigned before the clean isntall will be forgotten?

    How am I doing so far?

    Thank you again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 9
    Win 10 Pro
       4 Days Ago #6

    you my friend are spot on
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 119
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Days Ago #7

    xXWhacerXx said: View Post
    you my friend are spot on
    Excellent xXWhacerXx! You are da best! I am really appreciated of your help. You never know what questions come up and if they do I will post again, so keep following the thread if you can! For now, it looks like I am ready to go on this.

    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and hope you have a great rest of the week.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 9
    Win 10 Pro
       4 Days Ago #8

    thanks dude hope your turkey day was great too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 119
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Days Ago #9

    xXWhacerXx said: View Post
    thanks dude hope your turkey day was great too.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 7,132
    All kinds
       3 Days Ago #10

    It's important to remember that drive letters are assigned by OS and don't stay with same drive if moved to another position, OS or computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Drive Letters - Show Before or After Name in Windows 10
How to Show Drive Letters Before or After Drive Name in Windows 10 A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition in the computer. A drive name or drive label, is a...
Tutorials
Solved Drive Letters
When I plug a USB stick in any USB port the laptop allocates the next available letter to this drive - "E" - this applies to any USB stick I normally use. EXCEPT for one particular USB stcik which always shows up as "G" even though "E" and "F"...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Drive Letters Moved
I didn't know where else to post this. All of a sudden I lost some usb 2.0 & all 3.0 ports and my C: drive is now F:. I tried to remove my usb hubs so windows could re-detect them. No go. I deleted the partition on my ssd to reinstall and I still...
Drivers and Hardware
Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned
I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager. However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two...
Drivers and Hardware
Need BAT file to change my drive letters
Iím dual booting Win 10 and Win 8 or Win 10. Wen I make changes, like booting to a different HD, my drive letters change. Is there a way to use a BAT file to change my drive letters? I may use my macro program to have the BAT file run every time...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums