Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Feb 2015
    Posts : 171
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Weeks Ago #1

    Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?


    I have a rare motherboard that isn't in production that you can't find anywhere and i was wondering if thought any way possible can i find out what chip shorted and replace it? I have seen a video where a guy used a multi meter to see where the board electricity stopped and he soldered it off and replaced a small capacitor and the board worked again. . And yes it is worth fixing for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motherboard_Pic.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	109185
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 628
    Windows 7
       4 Weeks Ago #2

    Possible? Yes.
    Practical?

    Component level diagnostics is difficult and time consuming for a skilled technician.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,152
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       4 Weeks Ago #3

    This is probably impossible without having a logic state analyser and detailed fault finding guide. Even if you located the faulty chip, could you source and replace it without damaging other components?
    Last edited by Steve C; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:07.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,376
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       4 Weeks Ago #4

    I agree with the others, much more cost-effective to just get a new computer. The problem with a new motherboard is it may not accept your CPU and Memory, raises the cost. And if the board was damaged was that limited to only the board and not the power suppy, CPU and RAM or other devices?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    windows 10
       1 Week Ago #5

    xdarkmario said: View Post
    I have a rare motherboard that isn't in production that you can't find anywhere and i was wondering if thought any way possible can i find out what chip shorted and replace it? I have seen a video where a guy used a multi meter to see where the board electricity stopped and he soldered it off and replaced a small capacitor and the board worked again. . And yes it is worth fixing for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motherboard_Pic.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	109185
    Is this the motherboard for a CyberpowerPc Laptop Fangbook HX6-100? because i have the same issue, were you able to fix it? if so please help me! im in need for answers since my warranty wore off, what other motherboards you recommend me to buy or which ones are compatible with the laptop mentioned before
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,978
    Windows 10 IoT
       1 Week Ago #6

    The odds of your fault, being identical to the OP's fault, are pretty slim. Unless there is a common known issue with that make and model. If there was, a Google search should have turned it up. And even if you know where the fault is, unless its a simple fix, a diode, resistor, capacitor, the average Joe isn't going to be able to do it. You need specialized equipment to replace an IC that is SMT. Surface Mount Technology. Even removing a diode or resistor is tricky without damaging anything in the process. I wouldn't want to tackle it with regular PC repair tools.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    windows 10
       1 Week Ago #7

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    The odds of your fault, being identical to the OP's fault, are pretty slim. Unless there is a common known issue with that make and model. If there was, a Google search should have turned it up. And even if you know where the fault is, unless its a simple fix, a diode, resistor, capacitor, the average Joe isn't going to be able to do it. You need specialized equipment to replace an IC that is SMT. Surface Mount Technology. Even removing a diode or resistor is tricky without damaging anything in the process. I wouldn't want to tackle it with regular PC repair tools.
    Thank you so much for your answer, i left my laptop in a repair shop, hopefully they are qualified! if not should i buy a new motherboard?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,152
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       1 Week Ago #8

    You could try buying a matching motherboard off Ebay so you can reuse your CPU and memory. Otherwise you will probably need a new motherboard, CPU & memory! Then Windows may not activate?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,978
    Windows 10 IoT
       1 Week Ago #9

    Replacing a motherboard in a laptop is tricky business. It has to be an exact match or it won't fit in the case. Even a model or two older or newer and it may not fit, and or the cables won't line up. It's not cheap either. It's no so easy to take it all apart like it is with a desktop PC. Most of the time its not economically viable. It's just cheaper to buy a new laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    windows 10
       1 Week Ago #10

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Replacing a motherboard in a laptop is tricky business. It has to be an exact match or it won't fit in the case. Even a model or two older or newer and it may not fit, and or the cables won't line up. It's not cheap either. It's no so easy to take it all apart like it is with a desktop PC. Most of the time its not economically viable. It's just cheaper to buy a new laptop.
    Oh no, my laptop was really pricey, $1000 USD to be more specific, i can't believe this, thank you so much for your replies it really helped me a lot, guess I will never ever again buy a single item from CyberpowerPC. Thank you again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
New motherboard.
I installed a new motherboard and Activation failed with can't reach MS Servers. After a clean install today using the trouble shooter and it Activated
Windows Updates and Activation
Win 10 Repair Disc will not repair
Hi.... Thank you for the forum. Hope you do not mind my asking for help. Been trying and searching for answers for a couple of days... I have given up. We upgraded to Win 10 as the free update so have no disc..I think this will be the root of...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 10 User files lost after attempting to repair automatic repair
Hello there So, two days ago I got stuck in an automatic repair loop after trying to enable an old soundcard connected trhough usb in my DAW software. I tried everything there is about fixing it (because reinstalling all the programs I got in...
General Support
Automatic repair couldnt repair your PC (Repair screen win10)
Hello My pc is :C440 Touch All-in-One (Lenovo) Operating system : Windows 10 I can't run my PC, every time i try to run it shows me blue screen wrote on it " Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC
Performance & Maintenance
How to repair a win10 ssd install with no driver for usb repair ?
I have two Windows 10 installations on my PC. Primary and temp. The primary installation cannot boot with error "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information ". This happened aftter I wiped out another third disk...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:57.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums