Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #71

    mrje1 said: View Post
    Thank you very much for explaining. I appreciate the thorough answer on all my questions. Very Helpful. That is wonderful that I can place a USB 3.0 card in my motherboard, but the speed will be determined by motherboard specifications.
    The speed of a USB3 card plugged into a slot in your motherboard is determined by the USB3 electronics on the card, not by your motherboard. The data transfer rate of a slot in your motherboard is way faster than USB3 speeds. EDIT: PCIe 2.0 x1 slots have a data transfer rate of 500MB/sec. USB 3.0 theoretical max data transfer rate is 640 MB/sec (5 Gbps). But USB devices max data transfer rates max out at about 100-200 MB/sec. So the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot data transfer rate is way faster than real world USB3 data transfer rates.

    So sometime in the future, I will upgrade my motherboard to get faster speeds. I was believing for a long time that I couldn't put a USB 3.0 card inside my motherboard because the motherboard specs said PCI or PCIe slot was 2.0. I thought it had to match. Thanks to you I have learned better.
    I think the card that I tried this a few years back and it wasn't able to fit or hard to put in. Not sure though if it was a 1x card. I didn't want to press too hard and break it.
    What is the brand and model number of your motherboard? Maybe I can look it up and tell you what kind of slots are on it. Since you have an older motherboard, it may only have PCI slots and not PCIe slots.
    EDIT: I just noticed that you did list your system specs and that you have a ASUS: P7P55D EVO motherboard. That mobo has two PCIe x1 slots so you will be able to plug the Inateck PCIe to USB3 card in one of those slots.

    The Inateck ones what is the slot number 4x etc., I couldn't seem to see it in the description.
    You don't call the card a slot number. It is called a 1x or 4x or 8x or 16x card and therefore has the appropriate connector. The Inateck PCIe to USB3 adapter card that I linked to earlier has a 1x connector. You can tell that by looking at the connector on the card and matching it up with the picture of the PCIe slots that I posted previously. It's easy to tell by just looking at the card's connector and looking at the picture of the different slots.

    mck
    Last edited by mck; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:35.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #72

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    There are two things that will make your data unrecoverable:

    1. A physical defect/failure on the disk.

    2. The data gets corrupted (the file allocation table points to the wrong location) and the data gets overwritten with new data before it can be corrected.

    If you don't have a physical failure - something caused your File Allocation Table to get corrupted such as a power cycle. Any data that was overwritten after the FAT was corrupted and before it was repaired, will be lost.
    Thank you! I appreciate your time and assistance. I guess the for sure next step is to reformat the drives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #73

    mck said: View Post
    The speed of a USB3 card plugged into a slot in your motherboard is determined by the USB3 electronics on the card, not by your motherboard. The data transfer rate of a slot in your motherboard is way faster than USB3 speeds.


    What is the brand and model number of your motherboard? Maybe I can look it up and tell you what kind of slots are on it. Since you have an older motherboard, it may only have PCI slots and not PCIe slots.
    EDIT: I just noticed that you did list your system specs and that you have a ASUS: P7P55D EVO motherboard. That mobo has two PCIe x1 slots so you will be able to plug the Inateck PCIe to USB3 card in one of those slots.


    You don't call the card a slot number. It is called a 1x or 4x or 8x or 16x card and therefore has the appropriate connector. The Inateck PCIe to USB3 adapter card that I linked to earlier has a 1x connector. You can tell that by looking at the connector on the card and matching it up with the picture of the PCIe slots that I posted previously. It's easy to tell by just looking at the card's connector and looking at the picture of the different slots.

    mck
    Hey mck,

    Thank you again for your great help. That is great to know that I can use the Inateck USB card inside my motherboard. I appreciate the correction and clarification about the PCI or PCIe cards etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #74

    @mck

    I have been looking at Inateck's other models and I am now considering going to the newer model I guess you can say. I would love to get one more opinion on this and whether I should go with the other model over the one originally suggested. I like the aluminum build.

    Edit: Couple of things I just thought of. Also, does this have a power off switch like the other, will this sleep after idle function be a problem?

    PRODUCT 1 (ORIGINAL)
    Amazon.com Info
    http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dockin...ocking+station

    Inateck Info
    Inateck - POP-UP HDD Docking Station FD1003 - HDD Docking Station

    PRODUCT 2
    Amazon.com Info
    Amazon.com: Inateck Aluminium USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 Accessories

    Inateck Info
    Inateck - Aluminum HDD Docking Station FD1101 - HDD Docking Station

    PRODUCT 3
    Amazon.com Info
    Amazon.com: Inateck Accessories

    Inateck Info
    Inateck - HDD Docking Station with 2-Port Hub and SD Card Reader FD1102 - HDD Docking Station


    Thank you again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.   My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #76

    mrje1 said: View Post
    @mck

    I have been looking at Inateck's other models and I am now considering going to the newer model I guess you can say. I would love to get one more opinion on this and whether I should go with the other model over the one originally suggested. I like the aluminum build.

    Edit: Couple of things I just thought of. Also, does this have a power off switch like the other, will this sleep after idle function be a problem?

    PRODUCT 1 (ORIGINAL)
    Amazon.com Info
    http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dockin...ocking+station

    Inateck Info
    Inateck - POP-UP HDD Docking Station FD1003 - HDD Docking Station

    PRODUCT 2
    Amazon.com Info
    Amazon.com: Inateck Aluminium USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 Accessories

    Inateck Info
    Inateck - Aluminum HDD Docking Station FD1101 - HDD Docking Station

    PRODUCT 3
    Amazon.com Info
    Amazon.com: Inateck Accessories

    Inateck Info
    Inateck - HDD Docking Station with 2-Port Hub and SD Card Reader FD1102 - HDD Docking Station


    Thank you again.
    The aluminum versions 2 & 3 certainly look nicer than the product 1 version. But I'm skeptical about the auto sleep after 30 minutes "feature". I personally never put any of my hard drives to sleep. I really don't like the delay for the drive to wake up from sleep when I want to access it. Aside from using drives in my docking stations for backup, I also install drives to hold photos and videos. I want them to work instantly while I'm doing photo or video editing even if I return from a coffee break. If there's a way to turn off the auto sleep in products 2 & 3 then they look good, if not, then I personally wouldn't buy them. Your mileage may vary though.

    Regarding product 3 over product 2, remember that as long as the docking station is plugged into a USB2 port on your PC, then all of the ports on the docking station product 3 will run at USB2 speed even though they are USB3 capable. If you want the convenience of a SD card reader and two USB3 ports handily available, then product 3 would seem to be a good choice.

    mck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #77

    mck said: View Post
    The aluminum versions 2 & 3 certainly look nicer than the product 1 version. But I'm skeptical about the auto sleep after 30 minutes "feature". I personally never put any of my hard drives to sleep. I really don't like the delay for the drive to wake up from sleep when I want to access it. Aside from using drives in my docking stations for backup, I also install drives to hold photos and videos. I want them to work instantly while I'm doing photo or video editing even if I return from a coffee break. If there's a way to turn off the auto sleep in products 2 & 3 then they look good, if not, then I personally wouldn't buy them. Your mileage may vary though.

    Regarding product 3 over product 2, remember that as long as the docking station is plugged into a USB2 port on your PC, then all of the ports on the docking station product 3 will run at USB2 speed even though they are USB3 capable. If you want the convenience of a SD card reader and two USB3 ports handily available, then product 3 would seem to be a good choice.

    mck
    Thank you mck. I appreciate your input. I will think about all your advice and make a decision by Black Friday. It is a hard decision though because I do like the look of the other models etc.

    Any answer on my last question about the USB Cards?

    Otherwise, I hope you had a great day today. Thank you again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #78

    @mck,

    I did some research and I found NoSleepHD - Home

    This could be a solution to the auto sleep mode of the Aluminum Inateck model. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #79

    @mck,

    Sorry for the bombardment of stuff, I have another thing here I would like to ask you. Not sure about the accuracy at this point, but I came across this information that says if you have a hard drive not be in sleep mode like forever or either stopping hardware from entering sleep mode can reduce their lifespan overall. How accurate is that information?

    Thank you again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #80

    I personally don't mind connecting the power cable to USB3 adapter (Product-1) since it is just a one time thing when installing the card. It will insure that adequate power is available to all four ports on the USB3 card. A caveat is that when removing and reinstalling the card later on, one can forget to connect the power cable to the card and then think the card is not working (don't ask me how I know that) but one only forgets to do that one time .

    Product-2 should work fine for all of your USB devices unless you happen to connect multiple devices that do not have their own a/c power adapter, like hard drives that depend on the USB cable for power, or external CD/DVD drives that have two USB cables, one for signal and one for power, and similar devices. Should be fine for multiple USB flash drives as they use minimal power from the computer's USB ports.

    Products 1 & 2 use different USB3 controller chips on the card. AFAIK Product-1 uses the Fresco Logic chipset while Product-2 uses the Renasas/NEC chipset. Some folks prefer the Renasas/NEC chipset but I've seen user praise and complaints for both chipsets. If you like Product-2, then I would say it will be fine to go with it.

    mck
    Last edited by mck; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:39.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
Hi Have a folder with some subfolders that just wont delete. Can move and rename. Cannot cut and paste to another drive. I have tried the following which results in the same, just doesnt delete. Takeownership Grant me admin CMD Prompt...
General Support
Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable
I am getting the above message when in plug an external HDD via USB. Checking this out forum I Have tried Chkdsk commands at cmd prompt: chkdsk f: /r chkfdsk /f f: for both I get the same reply: "Type of file is NTFS. Unable to determine...
Drivers and Hardware
Corrupted hard drives
Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Get windows 10 key off of corrupted hard drive?
OK, so I've been in some deep crap with my computer lately. I just built a new system over the summer andg ot windows 10 on it by installing windows 7 (because I had an unused product key for it) then upgrading to windows 10. It worked perfectly for...
Windows Updates and Activation
"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" Seagate Backup +
I just moved from 64 bit Windows 7 to 10 so I backed everything on my 4TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive. I also have Carbonite so all is not lost if it comes to that. I made a base Image using Macrium Reflect that I still would like to get back...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums