Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.   My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #62

    Another Question @mck

    I watched a couple of videos on this product, the Inatek docking station that you recommended. They showed that the drives seem to wobble inside a bit. Is that normal? Do you have that same issue on your older Thermaltake one? Should that be of concern?

    Also, I read a reviewer on the dual one that it goes to sleep in transferring files, would that be the case on the single one? I would hate for that to happen when copying stuff.
    Last edited by mrje1; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #63

    mrje1 said: View Post
    @mck

    Thank you again so much for your time, assistance and for the information. Thank you for the clarification, but need a little more.Sorry, if I repeat myself a little etc.

    I now have the clarification that I can use USB3 devices with USB2 ports on my motherboard. Just to make sure I got this one though. So, my understanding from what you replied with is that you can use a USB 3.0 PCI or PCIe card inside my open PCI or PCIe slot of my motherboard even though those slots are USB 2.0 without any problems, I just won't get the USB 3.0 speeds. How am I doing so far?
    It appears that you don't quite understand it yet. PCI or PCIe slots in a motherboard are not related to USB in any way. The PCI and PCIe slots are just high speed connectors on the motherboard in which adapter cards can be plugged into. PCI slots are older technology and cards plugged into them use the full slot like this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-361-_-Product

    PCIe (also called PCI Express) slots are the newer technology. The PCIe slots in a motherboard can be 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x. Each card slot is larger like this:


    PCIe to USB3 card looks like this:


    Note that the part that plugs into the motherboard slot is rather small since it is for a 1x slot. But also realize that with PCIe, a 1x card can be plugged into a larger 4x, 8x or 16x slot and still work.

    In summary, the PCI or PCIe slot in a motherboard is not related to USB in any way. You just plug in the adapter card which converts the PCIe slot to USB3 ports. All of the USB3 electronics are on the card itself.

    Also, what flash drives would you recommend?
    I've bought SanDisk, PNY, Silicon Power and Kingston USB3 flash drives and have been satisfied with their USB3 speeds. But each company has different USB3 speed flash drives. For instance the SanDisk Extreme USB3 flash drive is quite fast but it costs more than lower end SanDisk USB3 flash drives. You get what you pay for. Amazon is "usually" safe but it's still possible to get counterfeit USB3 cards according to some user reviews. Look at the user reviews to get an idea. Buying USB3 cards from a local retailer like BestBuy, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Walmart, etc is normally safe though it costs a little more. Again, you pay more for faster USB3 flash drives even from the same company.

    I will also reread your reply to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    Thank you again. Wonderful help!
    You're welcome.
    mck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #64

    I personally don't care for the layflat type enclosures. I don't like having to uncable the USB3 cable and the power cable from the enclosure and then having to recable the USB3 and power cables to another layflat enclosure. I like being able to just pull a hard drive out from a docking station and then plugging another hard drive into the docking station. Plus bare hard drives take up less space in my safe than drives in enclosures.

    Just be careful and gentle when removing or installing bare hard drives in a docking station and you'll be fine.

    mck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Home
       3 Weeks Ago #65

    mrje1 said: View Post
    Another Question @mck

    I watched a couple of videos on this product, the Inatek docking station that you recommended. They showed that the drives seem to wobble inside a bit. Is that normal? Do you have that same issue on your older Thermaltake one? Should that be of concern?
    It is not an issue. It is normal and won't cause you any problems at all. Don't worry about this at all.

    Also, I read a reviewer on the dual one that it goes to sleep in transferring files, would that be the case on the single one? I would hate for that to happen when copying stuff.
    Like I said before, I read that dual docking stations can have problems. I've never had any problems with any of my single docking stations, nor have three of my friends that I setup with single docking stations to do their backups on. I won't buy dual docking stations. If I want two external drives, I'll buy two single docking stations.

    mck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #66

    mck said: View Post
    It appears that you don't quite understand it yet. PCI or PCIe slots in a motherboard are not related to USB in any way. The PCI and PCIe slots are just high speed connectors on the motherboard in which adapter cards can be plugged into. PCI slots are older technology and cards plugged into them use the full slot like this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-361-_-Product

    PCIe (also called PCI Express) slots are the newer technology. The PCIe slots in a motherboard can be 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x. Each card slot is larger like this:


    PCIe to USB3 card looks like this:


    Note that the part that plugs into the motherboard slot is rather small since it is for a 1x slot. But also realize that with PCIe, a 1x card can be plugged into a larger 4x, 8x or 16x slot and still work.

    In summary, the PCI or PCIe slot in a motherboard is not related to USB in any way. You just plug in the adapter card which converts the PCIe slot to USB3 ports. All of the USB3 electronics are on the card itself.


    I've bought SanDisk, PNY, Silicon Power and Kingston USB3 flash drives and have been satisfied with their USB3 speeds. But each company has different USB3 speed flash drives. For instance the SanDisk Extreme USB3 flash drive is quite fast but it costs more than lower end SanDisk USB3 flash drives. You get what you pay for. Amazon is "usually" safe but it's still possible to get counterfeit USB3 cards according to some user reviews. Look at the user reviews to get an idea. Buying USB3 cards from a local retailer like BestBuy, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Walmart, etc is normally safe though it costs a little more. Again, you pay more for faster USB3 flash drives even from the same company.


    You're welcome.
    mck
    Thank you very much for explaining. I appreciate the thorough answer on all my questions. Very Helpful. That is wonderful that I can place a USB 3.0 card in my motherboard, but the speed will be determined by motherboard specifications. So sometime in the future, I will upgrade my motherboard to get faster speeds. I was believing for a long time that I couldn't put a USB 3.0 card inside my motherboard because the motherboard specs said PCI or PCIe slot was 2.0. I thought it had to match. Thanks to you I have learned better.

    1x card can be plugged into a larger 4x, 8x or 16x slot and still work.
    I think the card that I tried this a few years back and it wasn't able to fit or hard to put in. Not sure though if it was a 1x card. I didn't want to press too hard and break it. The Inateck ones what is the slot number 4x etc., I couldn't seem to see it in the description.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #67

    mck said: View Post
    I personally don't care for the layflat type enclosures. I don't like having to uncable the USB3 cable and the power cable from the enclosure and then having to recable the USB3 and power cables to another layflat enclosure. I like being able to just pull a hard drive out from a docking station and then plugging another hard drive into the docking station. Plus bare hard drives take up less space in my safe than drives in enclosures.

    Just be careful and gentle when removing or installing bare hard drives in a docking station and you'll be fine.

    mck
    Thank you for your input and it is helpful in making my final decision.

    Will do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #68

    mck said: View Post
    It is not an issue. It is normal and won't cause you any problems at all. Don't worry about this at all.


    Like I said before, I read that dual docking stations can have problems. I've never had any problems with any of my single docking stations, nor have three of my friends that I setup with single docking stations to do their backups on. I won't buy dual docking stations. If I want two external drives, I'll buy two single docking stations.

    mck
    Thank you for your help and explanation. I feel more comfortable now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 121
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #69

    Hey Everybody,

    I should have posted this awhile ago so I am sorry. I had so much going on. I have some diagnostic information from CrystalDiskInfo to share about my corrupted hard drives. Let me know your thoughts or any other possible ways to make this accessible before I format it. I have to learn how to read those number. Thank you again!

    FIRST ONE

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive 1 on F.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	109991




    SECOND ONE IS THE ONE THAT WAS TURNED INTO A RAW DRIVE

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive 2 on G.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	109992
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,382
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #70

    There are two things that will make your data unrecoverable:

    1. A physical defect/failure on the disk.

    2. The data gets corrupted (the file allocation table points to the wrong location) and the data gets overwritten with new data before it can be corrected.

    If you don't have a physical failure - something caused your File Allocation Table to get corrupted such as a power cycle. Any data that was overwritten after the FAT was corrupted and before it was repaired, will be lost.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cant delete as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
Hi Have a folder with some subfolders that just wont delete. Can move and rename. Cannot cut and paste to another drive. I have tried the following which results in the same, just doesnt delete. Takeownership Grant me admin CMD Prompt...
General Support
Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable
I am getting the above message when in plug an external HDD via USB. Checking this out forum I Have tried Chkdsk commands at cmd prompt: chkdsk f: /r chkfdsk /f f: for both I get the same reply: "Type of file is NTFS. Unable to determine...
Drivers and Hardware
Corrupted hard drives
Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Get windows 10 key off of corrupted hard drive?
OK, so I've been in some deep crap with my computer lately. I just built a new system over the summer andg ot windows 10 on it by installing windows 7 (because I had an unused product key for it) then upgrading to windows 10. It worked perfectly for...
Windows Updates and Activation
"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" Seagate Backup +
I just moved from 64 bit Windows 7 to 10 so I backed everything on my 4TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive. I also have Carbonite so all is not lost if it comes to that. I made a base Image using Macrium Reflect that I still would like to get back...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:05.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums