I e-mailed ASUS tech support asking for help and this is part of their reply:
For this issue, please firstly ensure that the speaker has been as the default device under the sound option in the Control Panel, then switch to the Enhance option, uncheck all the options here and try again.
If right click the audio controller in the device and choose to unistall it, then reboot the OS and check if the system would auto reload the audio driver for the system.
Then please ensure that the Windows update has been enabled, and the available updates have been installed.
If still, I suggest you to use the compatibility mode install the Windows 8 audio driver in your OS for a test.
Via Audio Driver
I had already attempted their first couple of suggestions but they didn't work. I tried again but they still didn't work.
Then I downloaded and installed their new drivers. It didn't work the on first two attempts. My third attempt finally worked. I did it in a little different order. Here are my steps:
- Go the Device Manager
- Expand "Audio inputs and outputs"
- Right click each entry and click "Uninstall". If it asks if you want the drivers deleted, click "yes"
- Right click "Sound video and game controllers"
- Right click "VIA HD Audio" and click uninstall. If it asks if you want the drivers deleted, click "yes"
- Download the drivers from the ASUS reply (above).
- Unpack them, right click the "setup.exe" file, click "properties", click the "Compatibility" tab, tick "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose "Windows 8". Click "Apply"
- Right click "Setup.exe" and click "Run as administrator".
- Let the drivers install and reboot.
- Now set up your microphone.
The drivers installed are interesting:
- With the standard Win 10 installation, in the "Device Manager/Audio inputs and outputs", there were entries for Microphone and Headset. With the newly installed drivers, there was only an entry for microphone. In both cases the driver was Microsoft version 10.0.10240 dated 2015/07/09.
- With the standard Win 10 installation, the "Device Manager/Sound video and game controllers/VIA HD Audio" driver was VIA 184.108.40.2060. The newly installed driver is "VIA 220.127.116.11 dated 2013/11/01"(installed in Win 8 compatibility mode)
Thankfully (and frustratingly) both the mic and speakers are now working.
Hopefully others that are having this problem will find this helpful.