How to Install Old Epson Perfection 1200 Scanner in Windows 10
I've been experimenting with Windows 10 using a VM (VirtualBox) before upgrading. One challenge has been to see if I could get my old 1999 Epson Perfection 1200 scanner working in Windows 10 since Epson do not provide any 64 bitdrivers.
I discovered you can use the Epson 64 bit drivers for the Perfection 2400 and they work fine with the Perfection 1200. The Epson Scan program is fully functional for normal reflective scans and film scanning (if you have the attachment). The built in Windows scan program also works. This fix also works in Windows 8.
Here is how to do it:
- Download and install the Perfection 2400U drivers from Epson USA, version 3.04A http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...rm=OSF_W_10-64
- Connect and turn on your scanner
- Run Device Manager
- The Perfection 1200U will be shown under under Other Devices
- Select Update Driver
- Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software"
- Choose 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
- UNCHECK the 'Show compatible hardware'
- Click on 'Epson' in the Manufacturer box, and the scroll down through model until you find "Epson Perfection 2400', and choose that, and press Next
- Ignore the 'Update Driver warning - choose 'Yes'; to continue to install.
- The Perfection 2400 will now be shown in Device Manager. Note that the Perfection 1200 will still be shown under Devices & Printers
- Run Epson Scan and test the scanner. You may need to log out and log in again for program to work
I have reinstalled the modified driver several times every time when Windows automated upgrade and kill the driver. As WildOne quote, you can download Epson Perfection 2400 as a template and generate your own driver for Perfection 1640SU. Three steps are needed.
1. Download Epson Perfection 2400 driver from the following website as mentioned by WildOne.
Epson Perfection 2400 Photo, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.
2. Edit the file Es27.inf which can be found in the extacted epson12180_twain_driver_and_epson_scan_utility_xxxx directory. Please replace all the occurrences of USB\VID_04B8&PID_011B with USB\VID_04B8&PID_010A. And save the file.
3. Since your forged driver is not signed by authorized organization, you should disable signature verification on Windows. Please refer to the following website to disable driver signature verification:
4. After rebooting your Windows, you can install the driver for your Perfection 1640SU scanner. It may warn the driver is not signed. You should confirm to install. It works for me!
To stop Windows Update installing a specific update and messing with your drivers use the show/hide tool to hide that update.
Last edited by spapakons; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:36.