Are you talking about doing this, but with gray and not red?
- Open up Notepad
- copy the registry settings in the code box(left click 3 times slowly)
- Paste into NotePad
- You will need to find the RGB values(if the ones I have supplied are not what you want) for the color you want, and change them.
- Create a registry file by saving(to Desktop or Documents) as TextColor.reg
- Double click the reg file.
- Sign out, sign in and your finished.
- To change the values just right click the file and choose edit, make the changes, save, close and see point #6
Light Gray RGB=192 192 192
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
"Hilight"="192 192 192"
"MenuHilight"="192 192 192"
Darker Gray RGB= 105 105 105
Here is the reg file in case you have problems doing it yourself, using light gray: GrayHighlights.zip
Just download. Right click open Properties. Check unblock. Click OK. Extract(unzip) to where ever you want. Double click the Icon. Sign out and back in. Highlight something