1. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10
       24 Sep 2016 #1

    Watch Dog Initialization on startup. Windows 10 never starts.


    I just installed some security updates for my HP Envy. Ever since then, whenever I start up my computer, I get a Watch Dog Initialization (see attached photo), and Windows will not start up. It just stays on that screen...forever. How do I deal with this?

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160924_015031.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10
       24 Sep 2016 #2

    I pressed F8 on startup and got to the system restore screen. I did a system restore, and that has fixed the problem for now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,347
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       24 Sep 2016 #3

    I went through the Avg WatchDog issue yesterday with a client's computer where it literally locked the computer with a similar screen. I booted to the AVG Rescue disc I had created from the download and renamed everything with a name starting with avg in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers from .sys to .old. I rebooted to Windows and got an error about avgboota.sys missing, booted to a Linux disc and restored the file name. Win10 then booted up and I removed AVG AntiVirus programs in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Everything seems to be fine now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avg Watchdog 2a.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	103027
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10
       26 Sep 2016 #4

    Berton said: View Post
    I went through the Avg WatchDog issue yesterday with a client's computer where it literally locked the computer with a similar screen. I booted to the AVG Rescue disc I had created from the download and renamed everything with a name starting with avg in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers from .sys to .old. I rebooted to Windows and got an error about avgboota.sys missing, booted to a Linux disc and restored the file name. Win10 then booted up and I removed AVG AntiVirus programs in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Everything seems to be fine now.
    I have AVG on my computer. Do you think I should get rid of it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,347
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       26 Sep 2016 #5

    tollbooth said: View Post
    I have AVG on my computer. Do you think I should get rid of it?
    In the interest of expediency for my client that's what I did, reverted to Windows Defender so they could complete their trip details [starting 3-week trip to Europe today].
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 1
    windows 10
       26 Sep 2016 #6

    help!


    I am also getting the black screen with watchdog initialization. After the phase 1 : finished nothing happens. I tried the f8 key and it didn't work. How do I get past this? I am not computer savvy at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10
       27 Sep 2016 #7

    jamiesue said: View Post
    I am also getting the black screen with watchdog initialization. After the phase 1 : finished nothing happens. I tried the f8 key and it didn't work. How do I get past this? I am not computer savvy at all.
    I mashed F8 repeatedly as soon as I rebooted. That brought up the recovery screen.

    Do you have an HP? If not, it may be a different key that you need to press.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       02 Oct 2016 #8

    Hello,

    I just experienced this this morning when booting up my HP (windows 10).

    I have mashed F8 and nothing.

    Any help please?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 1
    10
       04 Oct 2016 #9

    Berton said: View Post
    I went through the Avg WatchDog issue yesterday with a client's computer where it literally locked the computer with a similar screen. I booted to the AVG Rescue disc I had created from the download and renamed everything with a name starting with avg in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers from .sys to .old. I rebooted to Windows and got an error about avgboota.sys missing, booted to a Linux disc and restored the file name. Win10 then booted up and I removed AVG AntiVirus programs in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Everything seems to be fine now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avg Watchdog 2a.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	103027
    Could you elaborate on what you did after you got the error about avgboota.sys being missing? I've tried going back through the AVG Rescue disc and changing the file back to it's original name, but that led me back to square one with the same Avg Watchdog screen showing up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 1
    Win 10
       12 Oct 2016 #10

    Try this


    Hwydemon said: View Post
    Hello,

    I just experienced this this morning when booting up my HP (windows 10).

    I have mashed F8 and nothing.

    Any help please?

    I am presently experiencing this problem. Try turning OFF your computer 3 times while it is booting. It should take you to the startup recovery.
    Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and Restart.When it restarts, you should see a number of options.Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.

    Once you are in safe mode, connect to internet and download the AVG removal tool from their website and run it. Remove everything.

    Your computer should then boot normally into windows. You may be able to reinstall AVG. Likely just a corrupted file? I've been using AVG for upwards of 15 years with no issues... If it does it again, you'd be able to repeat the above steps to remove it again.

    Good luck! :-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Upgraded to WIN10; Watch Dog Initialization locks up
After upgrading to Windows 10 and successfully running for a week, I now receive a screen with Watch Dog Initialization(which runs successfully and finishes), then freezes. Watch Dog is part of AVG, but it appears I need to "clean boot" from a CD or...
Software and Apps
Startup program starts minimized when in Tablet mode
Hi, I need Windows 10 to boot directly to a program. Whatever I try .vbs, .bat or just shortcut in Startup folder, it always starts minimized to task bar. When I click on the task bar it gets blown up full screen. Once I turn off the Tablet mode...
Software and Apps
Solved File explorer automatically starts at startup. I do not want this.
I checked (task manager > Startup ) and file explorer is not there. I disabled everything in startup, just to make sure. How do I stop this from occurring. Thanx
General Support
login freezes on startup/sleep initialization/lock screen
god i love win 10 i really do, if not for these few ridiculously unsolvable bugs pretty much rendering my lappy unusable for hours at a time. sys specs i7-6700 12gb DDR4 RAM nvidia GTX960M
Performance & Maintenance
When Excel 2007 starts Windows Installer also starts
Hi, after upgrading from Win7 Ultimate with Office 2007 to Won10 pro, every time I star Excel or Word or PowerPoint the Windows Installer screen appears and then asks for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition.ENU disk. ...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums