Hello everyone, hopefully someone here can help me with this issue I've been having on and off for the past few months.
I built this PC myself back in October using new parts and a PSU and one backup HDD from my old build. It has been running great up until around Christmas time when I started to get random BSODs which 99% of the time are irql_not_less_or_equal errors which only happen when I run a game.
Whenever I run a game it will run perfectly for a while and then out the blue, even when it's just sitting doing nothing, it will cause the PC to BSOD. I've tested running various games and they all cause me to BSOD but the BSOD itself is difficult to replicate as one day I will BSOD continually and other days it will run fine, it's very confusing.
So far I've tried:
- Learning how to read dump files which didn't work other than leading me to a win8 driver fault but I couldn't find out what driver it was, if that was even the issue in the first place
- Disabling various things that were running in the background that may have caused issues
- Unplugged various peripherals connected to my computer to see if it made a difference
- Ran Memtest for 9 passes which came back all clear
- Ran a couple of HDD tests as my old HDD before this build went bad so I still had them sitting on a couple of USB's, also came back fine
- Ran a few benchmarks on 3dmark and Furmark which didn't cause any BSOD
- Tried swapping memory into different DIMM slots
- Finally, yesterday I completely wiped off my old install and reinstalled Windows, only to have it BSOD again with the same error as before.
All of my attempts at troubleshooting this have failed. The only constant that keeps cropping up is in Event Viewer where I always get an Event id 56 error. I know Event Viewer isn't too helpful but this error always crops up a few seconds before my BSOD's so it may be connected I don't know. They do however crop up randomly at other times and don't cause a BSOD but from googling it myself I found many others with the same motherboard and Skylake generation CPU as me who also get these id 56 errors, however they have their PC freeze up but not crash whereas I get a BSOD.
I apologise for writing a wall of text, however I hope some of this is at least marginally useful for anyone who can help me with this, its driving me mad. Any help you guys and girls can give me will be greatly appreciated!